New local seedbox project and qBittorrent questions

Linux specific questions, problems.
unseen19
Veteran
Veteran

New local seedbox project and qBittorrent questions

Post by unseen19 »

Hi all!

I currently investigating the possibilities for a new humble server installation and looking obviously to qBittorrent. I'm currently testing it on an RPI4 with Ubuntu 20.04LTS, PPA added. I tested it headless or with the GUI, see below the reason

headless
this is ma primary choice, qbittorrent-nox and WebUI. But I'm facing some need I'm not sure I can fulfil easily:
- Unable to create torrent from the Webui. Even if I agree this can be solved with alternative tools
- Unable to move torrents in a folder structure I can browse. You need to know the location. Again not the biggest deal
- My concern: not possible to change tracker address on multiple torrents at once. This happen a few times per year in my situation

If I'm not wrong the server-client is not foreseen. Is this something not considered at all?

The crazy alternative
Well read again my first sentence, "investigating". I will use the WebUI most of the time but I need to be agile about the tracker address. Let's try the Ubuntu desktop package on the RPI4. But wait...the meaning is to be headless so...Well I'm currently trying xrdp to have remote access to the Ubuntu desktop. Just to have the full client running in a session, and the WebUI for the daily usage.
A boot on SSD make it usable, some xrdp issue I was able to fix too, dedicated HDD to store the torrent, and it works. Far from optimal setup however.

Maybe some of you understood I'm coming from Deluge headless setup. I was more than happy with it but yeah the lake of development becomes problematic. The version 2.X means a un-seamless migration so whatever the new server I choose.

Any thought about the test I ran, the alternative I've not yet considered ?

Thx for reading, even more for answering :)
unseen19
Veteran
Veteran

Re: New local seedbox project and qBittorrent questions

Post by unseen19 »

[update]
The alternative RPI4 + Ubuntu full is running, and works very well for a couple of days now
web interface used daily, RealVNC (arm64) when the full client is needed.

Some headache of course but SMB share, VNC, performance, etc are fine.