Slow speeds (goes down to bytes per second) on a torrent server I just set up using qbittorrent-nox installed on an Ubuntu LXC on Proxmox. The LXC has 2 cores and 2 GB of RAM. It's headless.
My Set Up
- pfSense running on an R210 II
- Proxmox running on an PowerEdge R720XD. Ubuntu LXC running on that, with qbittorrent-nox installed.
- OpenVPN Client on the pfSense firewall connected to PIA VPN. Both Ubuntu LXC and my Linux MInt Desktop computer are grouped into this VPN connection using an alias.
Imgur album with speeds.
- First image shows speed test from my desktop computer using the same VPN connection
- Second image shows same test but using fast.com
- Third image shows qBittorrent on my desktop computer downloading a torrent at 3.5 megabytes per second. Limited only because I capped it at 3.5 MB/s in qBittorrent itself.
- Fourth image shows qbittorrent on the Ubuntu LXC. When starting the same torrent it goes up to maybe 130 kilobytes per second then slowly goes down to what you see in the image
- NOTE: these tests were not done concurrently, instead done one after the other
- Ubuntu 20.10 with most recent update:
Code: Select all
apt update && apt upgrade
- qbittorrent-nox v4.2.5
- libtorrent version 188.8.131.52
Enabled protocol: TCP and uTP
Global maximum # of connections: 500
Maximum # of connections per torrent: 100
Global maximum upload slots: (unchecked, not limited)
Upload slots per torrent: (unchecked, not limited)
Apply rate limit to uTP protocol: checked
Apply rate limit to transport overhead: checked
Apply rate limit to peers on LAN: checked
Encryption mode: allow encryption
IPv6 on or off? not sure how to check this on the qbittorrent-nox webgui? IPv6 is turned off on the firewall as well as VPN.
libtorrent version: 184.108.40.206
Connection status: green plug, means connected?
DHT node count: 284 nodes
VPN: yes, PIA VPN
What type of profile user I am
Do you seed more than download? or vice versa?: I am trying to transition to downloading a lot to seeding more
How many tasks do you expect to run on average?: I am trying to seed a lot, which is why I allocated processors/memory to the LXC
Do you use the machine for other tasks simultaneous with BitTorrent downloads? no, this is a dedicated seed box
Are there other users on the LAN? yes, but probably not an issue since qbittorrent on my desktop computer doesn't have any issues
- running htop while trying to torrent on the Ubuntu LXC shows CPU and RAM usage are low (i.e., not a resource issue)
- iperf3 from Ubuntu LXC to pfsense firewall shows 945 Mbps. (not an issue with NICs)
I definitely do not think the issue is with my set up or the VPN. I can torrent using qbittorrent on my Linux Mint Desktop computer and it goes up to 3.5 MB/s. I've been downloading using this set up for years, and have soemtimes even reached 12 MB/s. I just recently set up this proxmox box and the Ubuntu LXC for qbittorrent-nox. I suspect the issue is with the Ubuntu LXC or qbittorrent-nox itself.
Any help with this issue would be really appreciated. I have been using qBittorrent on my desktop computer for years and prefer it to everything else. I love that it's written in C++ and uses the Qt framework.