Qbittorrent-nox linux server Ubuntu 20.04 migration

Linux specific questions, problems.
Dunland

Qbittorrent-nox linux server Ubuntu 20.04 migration

Post by Dunland »

Thank you and all the contributors for what you do with qBittorrent. I have been using it a long time and it has had a hugely positive impact on my life.

I have run into an issue where the VM with my qBittorrent-nox config data has become corrupted (a VM with a messy snapshot config – long story!). I was hoping to get over the below headlines to you and then ask bout extracting that data. I haven’t seen anything on any of the forums or reddit that are decisive on this kind of extraction. Let me know if these a post I should be looking at rather than you repeating yourself.

• Ubuntu server – 20.04 x64 running qBittorrent-nox in headless mode. The server (was) a non-gui config. 3x Drives – Drive A OS and qBittorrent-nox, Drives B and C had Torrent Data in an LVM. Hosted on a server on my lab on ESXi 6.7.0 U1.
• qBittorrrent-nox had minimal config outside of user/pass and some traffic scheduling – however there are lots of torrents and their tags (that put them into relevant folders.
• Data from all Torrent files are complete and unaffected on drives B and C.
• Drive A had become corrupted during a backup the moment after a snapshot had been corrupted, and I have been unable to recover the VM.
• I have now set up a new VM with Drives B and C (the LVM VG) with a new OS with Ubuntu 20.04 x64. What I want to do is reinstall qBittorrent-nox in the new OS drive (Drive D) – AND THEN copy over all the qBttorrent data and the relevant config files from Drive A to Drive D (I will be extracting this using a data recovery tool on the vmdk).
• I have 1000’s of torrents, and I do not have access to all the .torrent files – and the sources of the .torrent files do not maintain a history of the files I have previously downloaded and have shared. I assume the tags (that dictate where the torrent files are saved to would be useful).

So my question is what files do I need from the corrupted Drive A to copy over to Drive D to ensure I can reconnect and seed these torrents. Would it just be the .torrent files? If so, from which locations? If its more config needed, eg the tags, what more config do I need.

I hope this makes sense, and I thank you in advance for your response!
unseen19
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Qbittorrent-nox linux server Ubuntu 20.04 migration

Post by unseen19 »

Hi,

Not yet faced such situation but I used to migrate stuff the way you want. The A disk should contains the QBT setting, preferences, etc in folder you can retrieve here: https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorr ... s_settings

So after a QBT install and with the daemon not running, it worth trying to copy the profile/data from
~/.config/qBittorrent/
~/.local/share/data/qBittorrent/

Be sure to keep the same path and correct the permission
Give us a feedback :)

EDIT: corrected some horrible typo
Last edited by unseen19 on Mon May 31, 2021 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dunland

Post by Dunland »

Hi there,

Thanks so much for that - it makes a lot of sense. As I finally get around to this, I am trying to recover those files/folders from the drive - but have run into an issue. Google hasn't given me much to go on here - any idea on how to get to these hidden folders and copy them out?

I am using a boot CD with Redo rescue, but any tool / Live CD ideas are welcome:

EDIT:
The terminal CLI also doesn't find these, probably because I'm booting into a Live CD:
unseen19
Veteran
Veteran

Post by unseen19 »

the dot prior the folder means hidden, so you need to use "ls -al" to get them displayed.