qBittorrent opens files in wrong programs

Linux specific questions, problems.
ormainto

qBittorrent opens files in wrong programs

Post by ormainto »

Sometimes qBT opens files in wrong apps, seemingly ignoring file associations. For example some mp4 files are opened in HandBrake instead of the default video player (mpv in this case). Trying to open those files in other QT based applications, like Dolphin, produces expected results and the default app for opening those troublesome files is mpv when checked.

system: Ubuntu 20.04
environment: OpenBox, but the same thing happens when I log into GNOME
qBittorrent version: 4.3.6
unseen19
Veteran
Veteran

Re: qBittorrent opens files in wrong programs

Post by unseen19 »

File association is under the OS responsibility so far I know, it may not be a QBT issue.
Have you tried to cleanup the default file association or are you sure one of the player is not attempting to take the ownership of such extension?
Another possible path with Ubuntu is the type of package, snap or apt. I had some issue with VLC coming from snap and had to reinstall it with "apt install". My issue is unrelated to yours but worth the try maybe :)
ormainto

Re: qBittorrent opens files in wrong programs

Post by ormainto »

I installed qBT with apt from qBT team's PPA and it is the only app that has this problem, so it looks like it does something in a non-standard way.

But I did reset the default program for the mimetype, then set mpv as the default again. After restarting qBT the problematic file is now being picked by the correct app.