Coreelec box and USB 3.0 SSD instead of HDD

Linux specific questions, problems.
makakam

Coreelec box and USB 3.0 SSD instead of HDD

Post by makakam »

Currently I download torrents to a USB 3.0 HDD connected to my coreelec box and the max speed gets as high as 50MB/s but usually about 37MB/s. Sometimes the disk slows down and the speed drops to 10 or 15MB/s. My question is: should I buy an external USB 3.0 SSD to speed things up and prevent the disk from being a bottleneck? My internet is 1,2 Gb/s
makakam

Re: Coreelec box and USB 3.0 SSD instead of HDD

Post by makakam »

I've just done a write test using SSH command and it showed me 122,2MB/s so the problem is connected to qbittorrent?
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Coreelec box and USB 3.0 SSD instead of HDD

Post by Peter »

Torrent does not do sequential writes. Ie.: Torrent will write and read blocks left and right.
Two things:
1) You can use your local HDD/SSD as a temporary folder (see Settings) and then qBittorrent will copy the files over once they are downloaded. Theoretically, this should be much faster.
2) You can increase the ram cache so the writes are not all so random. Of course, if the storage can't keep up, the cache will just fill up and things will slow to a crawl.
3) USB - no matter what standard is always pretty slow compared to local access, so keep that in mind.