Why peers won't connect to finish download.

Other platforms, generic questions.
jbbarnes77

Why peers won't connect to finish download.

Post by jbbarnes77 »

I would appreciate insight about why some torrents won't complete and suggestions on what to do.

I often have torrents that stall, even though peers seem to be available. I'm looking at a few right now. The first says Seeds: 0(5) and Peers: 1(4). My understanding is that this means there are 5 seeders who have the entire torrent, none of which are talking to me. And there are 4 leechers with part of the torrent and only 1 is talking to me.

Is this correct? If so, can I make this torrent active again? I can try pausing, restarting, checking, forcing, and restarting the program, none of which get it downloading again. Suggestions? (I'm using 4.1.9.1 64-bit Windows.)
qbuser

Re: Why peers won't connect to finish download.

Post by qbuser »

If you are connected via VPN (you should be doing that), you can quit qBittorrent, change your VPN connection to another of your VPN provider's servers to change the IP address you appear to come from, and re-start qBittorrent. I suspect this is bad etiquette. This technique often works, and sometimes fails.

In cases where this technique fails, I suspect it is due to the BitTorrent port being blocked on the computer running qBittorrent.
SideshowBob

Re: Why peers won't connect to finish download.

Post by SideshowBob »

A lot of VPNs don't support incoming connection. Those that do are usually more expensive.