forum software

Other platforms, generic questions.
besttorrent

forum software

Post by besttorrent »

what does the 'shiki.hu' in this site mean?

why does it say that?

why does it use this forum software instead of discourse? etc
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: forum software

Post by Peter »

- I saw the name on a restaurant where I lived and I needed a domain name. So I registered it.
The forum started as a hobby project and became full time official later on and the name stuck.
We could just move it to qBittorrent's domain anytime. This way however we get Cloudflare protection which ain't bad.

- see above.

- This forum software is way faster, hella more lightweight than Discourse. Discourse is great if you have a huge customer base swarming your site 24-7 and you have very powerful hardware to host. Another thing: There is no proper migration script for Discourse to migrate from phpBB or SMF.
besttorrent

Post by besttorrent »

does moving to 'qbit domain' mean changing domain name?

if so why would this basically not have 'cloudflare protect'

are tehre any tests analysis that shows this forum software is faster overall than discourse which seems ot be the main forum software used by ppl

by 'more lightweight' what does 'lightweight' mean here? does that mean that this forum app uses less hd space?
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Phew. It's a complicated topic, but you can always just research this by yourself. Like just install your own forums and test. Barely costs a dime to be fair. Back like 5-10 years ago, everyone hosted their own forums. It was cool, I miss those times tbh.

So.

Cloudflare
: Basically you can only enable Cloudflare for an entire domain. The problem is, Cloudflare does not offer the feature we require. So we must use an other DNS provider - who cannot provide Cloudflare like protection and features. So if we moved the forum under qBittorrent domain, we'd lose all those features and protections that we are using now. Another option would be to register a separate domain just for the forum, but again, that'd be just a waste of money. In the end, its just an address without any meaning.

Faster than Discourse
: Well, you can try it yourself. Grab a VPS, install phpBB. You can install it on the cheapest, 2.5$ VPS and it will run stupid fast. Install fast, respond fast, etc. That 2.5$ VPS can serve out thousands of users for years.
On Discourse? I'd recommend a 4/8 core VPS or even a dedicated server with fast cores. About 16-32gigs of RAM and fast SSD. Then you can install Discourse. It will take a long 30 minutes or so to even finish installation. An update? About the same time. Don't even dream of hosting a bigger community over Discourse as even basic use will make your server sweat blood.

Discourse has nice features - like live posting and whatnot. But it's very resource intensive. I'd only recommend it if you have resources to spare. Like let's say it's a forum for Minecraft, by Mojang/Microsoft. So they have a huge community, and infinite money. Match made in heaven. That's what Discourse is for. The other problem with Discourse is the lack of community mods and such around it. There is no good anti-spam module, there is no import module for other scripts. If you don't like the core modules, you better get ready to shell out some serious cash.

tl;dr: Discourse is for enterprise, phpBB and other PHP based forums are for everyone.