[SOLVED] IP Address to report to tracker

Other platforms, generic questions.
kkuriyama

[SOLVED] IP Address to report to tracker

Post by kkuriyama »

I am running qBittorrent-nox 4.2.5 on a FreeBSD 12.1 box behind a router NATd connection (no VPN). The appropriate firewall rules have been loaded on the router to allow Internet access to the QB embedded tracker (9000) as well as port 6881. Under the Advanced Setting, "Optional IP address" has been set to all.

My objective is to share content using private torrents. I created a private torrent with mktorrent and set the tracker URL to my public facing name. When I load this private torrent on the system, it dutifully contacts itself and shows that the tracker is working for this particular torrent and that it is seeding.

Now for the fun part. When I load this private torrent on a (different site) QB-nox 4.2.5 system, the torrent download stalls and I can see in the "peers" list that it is trying to contact the private IP address side of my router (192.168.2.2).

Is there a way to control what IP address QB sends to trackers? Ideally I would like to enter the DNS name of my public facing connection. I have tested the Windows version of Vuze and without any special configuration it will correctly send my public facing IP address to the trackers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
kkuriyama

Re: IP Address to report to tracker

Post by kkuriyama »

This is a non-issue. Please mark the questions as resolved.

I've determined that the tracker registers the source address of the incoming connection as it should. The reason I saw an RFC 1918 address (192.168.2.2) being registered is that the BT client was behind the same NAT router as the tracker being updated.

Since the BT client has a private IP address and is in the same network as the tracker, the NATing router uses its internal address (192.168.2.2) as the IP of the client that should be registered by the tracker.