Filter search results ?

Other platforms, generic questions.
Sathors

Filter search results ?

Post by Sathors »

Your app is a great one, and the feature I find most useful is by far the search section, as I don't like roam the web to find a torrent.

But I think this program really lacks something : it would be so great to filter the results displayed after a search !
The best would be to enable the use of regular expressions in order to find the torrent we're looking for in a blink.

The other solution would be to make an option on the command-line to get the search results on the terminal output, so we could do a grep on it.

Thank you so much for this app and keep up the good work !
christophe.dumez

Re: Filter search results ?

Post by christophe.dumez »

Yes, this is a good idea. Now I just need to find time to implement this (unless someone else is motivated :P)
DasFox

Re: Filter search results ?

Post by DasFox »

[quote=""Sathors""]Your app is a great one, and the feature I find most useful is by far the search section, as I don't like roam the web to find a torrent.

But I think this program really lacks something : it would be so great to filter the results displayed after a search !
The best would be to enable the use of regular expressions in order to find the torrent we're looking for in a blink.

The other solution would be to make an option on the command-line to get the search results on the terminal output, so we could do a grep on it.

Thank you so much for this app and keep up the good work ![/quote]

Can I give some thoughts here?

1. Looking for torrent's isn't hard.

2. You shouldn't really be looking all the time for torrents on just any site, then you have to worry about what you are downloading and spreading, believe me I know there are tons of crap torrents floating the web on all these torrent search engines out there.

3. Get one some trackers that are big and typically easy to get into like Demonoid and Bitsoup.
Here if you're not on Bitsoup then signup: http://bitsoup.org/signup.php

4. I like having features like anyone else but I also know the more you add, then the more poor guys like Chris have to mess around trying to keep things clean, working nice and bugs to a minimum.

So for me I say ditch any 'Search' features in a P2P client, they're crap and join a few good trackers, then you'll be in a good community to make requests and find more then merely surfing the web looking.

I hope Chris will keep qBittorrent as a nice, light, simple client! ;)

Any good Torrent Geek knows, sooner or later you're going to need to get in some trackers and surfing the web for torrents is lame, but let's not have more bloat in the client to search for torrents which is just as lame.

Personally I think the search feature should be ditched, because it also makes for lazy torrent users, which the POINT of a P2P client is being in a COMMUNITY, it's a FILE ---> SHARING application and sitting around searching on your butt at home isn't doing anything to improve the P2P communities out there, it's just helping to keep the torrent kiddies lazy.

So please let's ditch the Search feature...

PEACE