Remove .unwanted functionality

Other platforms, generic questions.

Do you want to remove the .unwanted functionality?

Yes
70%
No
30%

Total votes: 37

SDIK

Re: Remove .unwanted functionality

Post by SDIK »

Recently I had an issue with Qbit. I have downloaded 500 files-torrent And I wanted to leave ONLY one that I would use and WANTed to seed. The others were way too old and irrelevant.

When I've unticked all-bout one I realized that the files within the designated folder were moved to the unwanted folder ergo taking out 50 GB without me knowing where was the problem.
I had to use a folder sniffer to understand that Qbit did NOT deleted the files but hid them away in .unwanted folder.

I presume this is a feature and not a bug... However IMO in this particular case the ".unwanted" feature confuses.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

I presume this is a feature and not a bug... However IMO in this particular case the ".unwanted" feature confuses.
Only when you do not how the protocol works.

https://wiki.theory.org/BitTorrentSpecification
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

There will be some changes regarding this soon. You can follow subjects about this at the Github page too.

And welcome by the way :).
snakyjake

Post by snakyjake »

What is the link to follow the subject?

I want to make sure I don't run into a new problem:
1)  Downloaded a bunch of files.
2)  Decided I no longer want the files.
3)  Files are moved to the .unwanted folder.
4)  The unwanted files are taking up storage.
5)  Delete the unwanted files from the folder.
6)  Recheck torrent.
7)  Re-download the missing parts.
8)  I expect the new unwanted files to now be sparsely allocated.

Basically I need something to easily/quickly identify which files I don't want in Windows Explorer (or better yet, QBT to automate this process for me).

Jake
Last edited by snakyjake on Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
mzso

Post by mzso »

I think if the folder is removed the best would be to have the chunks in file like µt does. Or at least rename them to something: chunkN or adding a .chunk extension. "Hiding" is worth precious little because most software just ignores them. I drop a folder on my player window and I get all the video/audio files loaded by extension. (In this regard .unwanted was useless too.)
Also I'd really prefer not removing the already existing files in the folder as it is done at present.

[quote="ciaobaby"]
So all the whining and moaning about seeing 'unwanted' files is being done by people who probably should know better, because they 'should' at least be aware of the difference between "hidden" files and 'normal' files, given that they have deliberately chosen to show files and folders they do not actually NEED to be looking at.
[/quote]
Everyone the least bit about the os has hidden files shown. How dumb it is to have files folders lying around which you copy/delete/whatever unintentionally, unknowingly, because they're invisible... That's why a good chunk of archives or torrents created have the "very useful" thumbs.db in them, or desktop.ini.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Everyone the least bit about the os has hidden files shown.
Also known as  "Knowing enough to be dangerous". These are people whom only think they know enough and like to meddle with what they don't really understand, but are not willing to accept that they do not actually know enough, so think have no need to research any further.
mzso

Post by mzso »

ciaobaby wrote:
Everyone the least bit about the os has hidden files shown.
Also known as  "Knowing enough to be dangerous". These are people whom only think they know enough and like to meddle with what they don't really understand, but are not willing to accept that they do not actually know enough, so think have no need to research any further.
Disagree. As I described having hidden files outright sucks.
There's nothing in particular to be known about hidden files apart from the fact you can't see them.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

[quote="mzso"]
I think if the folder is removed the best would be to have the chunks in file like µt does. Or at least rename them to something: chunkN or adding a .chunk extension. [/quote]

That would be great but libtorrent doesn't support it yet on their stable releases. The libtorrent author has said that this feature is implement in the branch that is going to be the next major stable release of libtorrrent. Until then I cannot do something else. The data writing/reading to/from disk is handled by libtorrent.
mzso

Post by mzso »

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]
[quote="mzso"]
I think if the folder is removed the best would be to have the chunks in file like µt does. Or at least rename them to something: chunkN or adding a .chunk extension. [/quote]

That would be great but libtorrent doesn't support it yet on their stable releases. The libtorrent author has said that this feature is implement in the branch that is going to be the next major stable release of libtorrrent. Until then I cannot do something else. The data writing/reading to/from disk is handled by libtorrent.
[/quote]
You mean µtorrent way? That's good news then.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

There's nothing in particular to be known about hidden files apart from the fact you can't see them.
"hidden" files are hidden for a very good reason.

Registry hives are hidden files, because if some idiot decided that they were not needed and deleted them, what do you think would happen??

A Windows "swap" file is hidden.
The application data folder %APPDATA%  and the files in there are hidden.

And they are hidden because 99.9% of user do not EVER need to see them or do anything with them, and 99% of the other 0.1% who just like to meddle then say "Oeeer! Now why did that happen, along with stating  "Your [expletive expletive expletive] application is a load of [expletive expletive] rubbish!!!!!

They are hidden because they do NOT need you meddling with them.
mzso

Post by mzso »

ciaobaby wrote:
"hidden" files are hidden for a very good reason.

Registry hives are hidden files, because if some idiot decided that they were not needed and deleted them, what do you think would happen??

A Windows "swap" file is hidden.
The application data folder %APPDATA%  and the files in there are hidden.
The files you mentioned are locked, you can't delete them anyway. And if you could one might delete it by accident because "well, there's nothing useful here"
One often needs access to appdata and it's super annoying when you have to access it while it's hidden on the computer you're using.
And they are hidden because 99.9% of user do not EVER need to see them or do anything with them, and 99% of the other 0.1% who just like to meddle then say "Oeeer! Now why did that happen
Don't pull "facts" out of the air...
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

To preempt things: The discussion about hidden files isn't going anywhere. So chrishirst to answer to mzso. And mzso don't continue the talk about it.
Both of you, you can create a separate topic about the hidden files if you want. Just not here.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

And if any one does .... ... http://webmaster-talk.eu/forum/computer ( where I get the advantage of home territory :) )
mzso

Post by mzso »

Hello!

Does anyone know what happened with the removal of the ".unwanted folder"? It's still in 3.4.0b2.

Was it abandoned or removed then re-added for some reason? Why?
mzso

Post by mzso »

So. Is there no-one around anymore?