qBittorrent Controller for Android

Other platforms, generic questions.
HomeDope

Re: qBittorrent Controller for Android

Post by HomeDope »

Hey again.

Thanks for your replies and clarification.
Above reply was very informative.

Thank you :)
KitKat

Post by KitKat »

[quote="ciaobaby"]
Wake-up On LAN is really ONLY for use with machines that are all on the same LAN or LAN subnet it is not intended for WAN - LAN operations. IF you want a LAN machine to 'wake-up' to WAN activity, this HAS, HAS to be done by tour router sending the "magic packet".

The important bit you absolutely need to understand is that MAC (Media Access Control) addresses are NOT routable beyond your LAN, so a "magic packet" CANNOT be sent from a location that is outside (WAN/Internet) of your local area network (LAN) to a machine that is inside,
[/quote]
You dont understand how WoL works, or you don't understand how basic networking works (port forwarding)
The MAC address is NOT how the packet is routed, the MAC Address is the PAYLOAD of the packet.
The packet is routed by IP Address, due to not been able to route a LAN IP over the internet it requires the user to PORT FORWARD something to correctly route it in the internal LAN.

The main problem with WoL-over-the-internet is that most ISP provided modem/routers will NOT let you portforward ANYTHING to point to ports 7 or 9 (where i live major ISPs typically blanket block forwarding to an IP port lower than 50 as everything here is a service and they dont want you running mail servers or someshit)

Im literally repeating myself, and you're making the same comprehension mistake.
What hes asking IS possible and HAS been done, its nothing new or magical.
The changes made to the controller application to support what hes asking are very minor. (3 entry fields + code to formulate a UDP packet based on the entry fields)
The changes the USER needs to make to their LOCAL network environment for it to WORK are the big changes & where all the problems lie.
^Assumes qbittorent itself wont shit the bed if the computer goes into a sleep state with it running, and apparently it will, so the BEST cause of action is to NOT LET YOUR PC SLEEP IN THE FIRST PLACE.
(I thought the new flags added in version 3.3.4 were to resolve this issue, as the thing you linked is "merged" in libtorrents tracker)

You have a big selective reading bias, has anyone told you that before?

/e: Here is a website + guide to tell you HOW to set this up.
https://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/wak ... ake-on-wan
All of it can be replaced by "login to your modem/router combo and manually setup a portforward on some unused port to point to port 7/9 on local ip <your local ip here> using the GUI"
telnet in and do X is the global "this will always work if telnet is supported" answer.

https://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/woli
Here is their free service for performing the WoL Online Request. The only information it needs is MAC, your external IP address & the port you've forwarded.

/e2: How the hell did i miss this gem
[quote="ciaobaby"]
Not really possible in any case, as MAC addresses are not 'routable' over TCP. only over NET BIOS (WINS resolver)
[/quote]
Wake-On-Lan "Magic Packet" is UDP not TCP.........
A sleeping PC cant really perform a TCP handshake can it lmfao.
The principal is it Wakes on recieving the NIC's MAC address as a packet payload on one of the 2 ports it actively listens to in that state, it doesnt care HOW the packet is sent over the transport layer AFAIK
UDP is the BEST option for routing it over the internet as routers like to drop everything else & TCP isnt viable for technical reasons.
You theoretically could send the MAC address as the contents of an ICMP ping packet and have it wake the pc provided it gets routed properly (it wont by default)
The name "Wake on LAN" is now a misnomer, it should be renamed to "Wake on Network Receive"

You need to understand WoL is old as hell and technological/intellectual progress since its inception have changed HOW it can be used past its initial scope.
Last edited by KitKat on Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
KitKat

Post by KitKat »

[quote="HomeDope"]
Heya. Thanks all for your replies.
I think that I was not really clear what is the situation atm.

Currently My qbit config is that it wont sleep IF torrents are downloading. What I Just wanted is this.

ADD torrent using app.
Ping the host PC to xheck IF its alive.
IF not then use wol to wake it up.
ADD torrents. Thats it.

Ofc I can send WoL commabd via My phone atm but I was Just asking IF it could Be added to app itself.
Thanks.
[/quote]
Shouldn't you be nice and make it not sleep if qbittorent is actively seeding D:

No reason why it technologically couldn't be added it seems like a useful feature to incorporate even if it only affects a niche crowd, i dont understand what or why ciaobaby is argueing on this thread.
If anything he should be argueing "no its not related to qbittorent it shouldnt be added at all" instead of "lol thats impossible WoL doesnt work over the internet"

You can post suggestions directly to the application author here
https://github.com/lgallard/qBittorrent ... ler/issues
Ii think you'll probably have more luck with that than with this thread as it appears he only updates it for releases/support posts for a few days after release.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

You dont understand how WoL works, or you don't understand how basic networking works (port forwarding)
The MAC address is NOT how the packet is routed, the MAC Address is the PAYLOAD of the packet.
Sure, but that packet is NOT routable over a WAN, in fact the ONLY MAC address exposed to a WAN or the Internet is the router MAC identity. but you are missing what routing actually means.

Any device that is outside the LAN or even on a subnet or VLAN cannot 'know' the MAC address of any device that is on the LAN to put it into the packet, it is simply not possible, as MAC addresses are NOT available beyond ANY router or gateway that is on the LAN or a subnet of the LAN.
KitKat

Post by KitKat »

ciaobaby wrote:
Sure, but that packet is NOT routable over a WAN, in fact the ONLY MAC address exposed to a WAN or the Internet is the router MAC identity. but you are missing what routing actually means.

Any device that is outside the LAN or even on a subnet or VLAN cannot 'know' the MAC address of any device that is on the LAN to put it into the packet, it is simply not possible, as MAC addresses are NOT available beyond ANY router or gateway that is on the LAN or a subnet of the LAN.
omfg.. you're actually retarded/illiterate.
THAT IS WHY THE USER SUPPLIES THE MAC ADDRESS OF THEIR PC, DO YOU EVEN READ BRO?
KitKat wrote: ANYWAY BACK ON TOPIC!!
For casual use what hes asking is possible, android controller app only needs to supply fields for the user to enter an IP address(send here) MAC address(packet payload) and port (assuming portforward method for getting routed properly) this is all its required to do (along with actually craft & send the packet ofc..) the rest relies on the user setting their network up correctly..
HERES A USE CASE FOR YOU IN ALL CAPS

MY PCS LAN ADDRESS IS 192.168.0.2, MY NETWORK IS ME DIRECTLY CONNECTED TO A MODEM/ROUTER COMBINATION NOTHING ELSE AKA TYPICAL HOME USER CONFIGURATION.

I TELL THE PROGRAM MY EXTERNAL IP IS 111.111.111.111 MY PCS MAC ADDRESS IS FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF AND TO SEND THE PACKET ON PORT 6969
IN MY LAN I HAVE TOLD MY ROUTER TO PORT FORWARD TRAFFIC ON PORT 6969 TO IP 192.168.0.2 ON PORT 7
MY ROUTER ACCEPTS THIS BECAUSE ITS NOT ISP LOCKED/SHIT FIRMWARE.

THE PROGRAM SENDS A PACKET CONTAINING THE MAC ADDRESS I SUPPLIED (FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF) AND SENDS IT TO 111.111.111.111:6969
IT HITS MY MODEM/ROUTER
THE PORTFORWARD RULE REDIRECTS IT TO 192.168.0.2:7
MY SLEEPING PC WITH THE NIC MAC ADDRESS FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF RECIEVES A UDP PACKET CONTAINING FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF ON PORT 7.
IT WAKES THE FUCK UP.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW???!!!

/e:You literally just complicated the problem by adding VLANs, it should still work though provided ANY router(physical or virtual) can talk DIRECTLY to the computer, you MAY need to daisy chain forward rules to pass the packet that far if you've done something autistic like a sublan inside a sublan then bridging a connection from a laptop to a PC where the laptop runs qbittorent (which begs the question "WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?")
Upon further thought VLANS/sublans shouldnt be a concern at all provided the device can still listen to something on the LAN on port 7, it just complicates the LAN routing a bit.
eg send packet, packet hits modem on some port, modem/router forwards to ipcop distro/vrouter then that vrouter needs to properly forward it again, if you're running a VM i dont believe WoL "magic packet" will wake a VM up unless the VM emulates WoL as WoL is a hardware level thing (lvl0), I haven't personally tried it because i havent seen a need and i cannot be fucked looking for or testing that niche solution to an even more niche problem.
ciaobaby wrote: Any device that is outside the LAN or even on a subnet or VLAN cannot 'know' the MAC address of any device that is on the LAN
SINCE WE'RE TALKING ABOUT AN APPLICATION THAT INTERFACES WITH QBITTORENT AND QBITTORENT IS ON THE LAN.
WE CAN EXTEND QBITTORENTS API TO GET THE MAC OF THE NIC ITS BOUND TO AS PART OF ITS API FOR THIS ANDROID CONTROLLER PROGRAM
THAT SOLVES YOUR STUPID NOT-A-PROBLEM PERCEIVED PROBLEM AND MAKES IT MORE USER FRIENDLY FOR PEOPLE WHO DONT KNOW HOW TO IPCONFIG /ALL OR IFCONFIG -A

Tl;Dr (this is for you ciaobaby <3)
The problem you're talking about is a non-problem because the MAC address is never used to actually route the packet its a user supplied payload in a UDP packet as previously stated in this topic & if you bothered to click my links you'd realise from just reading the input fields it was a user requirement. /argument

/e2: You're talking to a systems administrator btw mr webmaster.
I asked the network administrator who works under me if i was wrong/mistaken in anything and she confirmed your problem comes from NOT FUCKING READING THE FULL POST.
That or you're translating to a language other than english and all the key repeated sentences are getting lost in translation.
Last edited by KitKat on Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Lets calm down a little and not type with big letters guys, keep it civil and neat.

Forum Rules
Last edited by Nemo on Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KitKat

Post by KitKat »

[quote="Nemo"]
Lets calm down a little and not type with big letters guys, keep it civil and neat.

Forum Rules
[/quote]
I dislike repeating myself and i got frustrated.
I apologize for my language and tone they were uncalled for.
lgallard

Post by lgallard »

Hi

HomeDope, regarding your feature request I have to say no to its implementation, because as ciobaby explained, my app is just a remote controller. In fact all actions are just calls to the qBittorrent API.

Can I implement the feature outside of the API calls? Yes, but as ciaobaby quotes there are other apps that already do what you want. I'd rather invest time in developing other qBittorrent requests.

P.S.:

KitKat, I do read all posts ;)

Best regards,
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Thanks for your response lgallard :).
HomeDope

Post by HomeDope »

Hello,

Thank you all for your responses.
Kitkat explained what I meant (Thank you big time), I didn't mean to start a flame war :P So sorry about that.

Thanks for your response Igallard.
I understand that you only wan't to develope this app just to use Qbittorrent API :)
I will setup Tasker to do this for me.

Thanks again ppl :)

BR,
-Home
lgallard

Post by lgallard »

Release 4.3.2
  • Changed app short name to qBController
  • Added sort by "Added on" and " Completed on" (works with qBittorrent v.3.3.4 and above)
  • Added Storage permission request in BKS keystore file picker for Android 6+
  • Updated Basque and Japanese translations
  • Fixed annoying authentication message at startup
  • Fixed rounded of ratio to two decimals
  • Fixed sorting by priority issue (torrents with zero priority)

Available on:

Google Play: qBittorrent Controller Pro  / qBittorrent Controller Free
GitHub: qBittorrent Controller Free
lgallard

Post by lgallard »

Release 4.3.3
  • Added labels support
  • Update Basque and Japanese translations
  • Fixed ratio rounded in torrent general info

Available on:

lgallard

Post by lgallard »

Release 4.3.4
  • Fixed delete and delete data not showing in contextual menu issue

Available on:

ijmm

Post by ijmm »

I have a problem in the app: I'm having trouble connecting to the qBittorrent by the mobile network!  In laptop wi-fi, the app works, but the mobile network does not. Could someone give me a hand? is there any tutorial on how to open port 8080 on windows 10?
lgallard

Post by lgallard »

Hi ijmm, You can read this topic: Remote from other PC - Cannot open ports, in particular the last message:

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]
1. Set your router to forward the port to your PC(make sure your PC takes a static ip from router). Your router should map the same port number to outside as in the outside. ie don't have it map the internal 80 port to an external 4563 port.
2. Discover your external ip.
3. Go to your remote PC, open a browser and enter <external ip address of server>:<port number> eg 46.70.85.96:80

When you get the above working, then you can go and setup a noip domain that will automatically refresh with your new external ip...
[/quote]