user/pass with smtp server

Other platforms, generic questions.
famewolf

user/pass with smtp server

Post by famewolf »

Is there a particular reason my post asking this about 9 hours ago AND my user account were deleted?

Request: Add option to specify username and password of the smtp server to be used to send email when download completes as most smtp servers now require you to authorize before they will allow you to send to prevent spam.
ironcross

Re: user/pass with smtp server

Post by ironcross »

[quote=""famewolf""]Is there a particular reason my post asking this about 9 hours ago AND my user account were deleted?[/quote]
Mistakes happens sometimes, sorry.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

[quote=""famewolf""]Is there a particular reason my post asking this about 9 hours ago AND my user account were deleted?[/quote]

Yes, spammers. It's not that easy to fight with them.
Now the settings are quite permissive.

That said, we have a lot of fake registrations. We use both ATLBL and SFS lists with the highest security.
So yeah. There is a possibility that your account gets deleted (if its suspicious in any kind of way).

Sorry about all this. Just re-register.
(There is no "golden way" where all the people can register freely without hassle AND we won't get additional fake registrations. :-/)

(I'm thinking about switching the forum to SMF, but first I'll check it's spam countermeasures. IPB would be great, but that's not free. Or if Chris decides to change the site into Drupal, so I could host both the site and the forum. (The in-built forum of Drupal is just great.))

(I'll add a feature to the admin panel so we can delete fake regs with one click. Now it takes about 6 clicks, which is not convenient if we talk about 100 fake regs or so.)
famewolf

Post by famewolf »

Thank you for your reply. So is it possible to add user/password authentication for the smtp server because I'm not receiving the emails from my qbittorrent client to the gmail smtp server on completion of download. I'd like my htpc to notify me when new episodes of shows are downloaded...as an alternative the client could produce a rss feed that could be polled.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Well.. I repilied to the quetion about the account deletion.
If you want a new feature to be added, please open a new ticket on the bugtracker.

Chris will reply there ASAP.
famewolf

Post by famewolf »

I can open a ticket on bugtracker but is it a new feature or is it fixing the existing one because I don't know of ANY public smtp server's that don't require authentication. I could even install a smtp server on my linux box, allow local connections and gmail is going to refuse to accept email from an unrecognized server.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

It's a feature request I think. (New feature.) Hence the "improvement" of the old function.