qBittorrent v2.3.0 release is nearing

Other platforms, generic questions.
christophe.dumez

qBittorrent v2.3.0 release is nearing

Post by christophe.dumez »

As some of you are probably aware, the release of qBittorrent v2.3.0 is nearing. I have uploaded a release candidate on Sourceforge and I have also uploaded it to my Ubuntu PPA. v2.3.0 brings quite a few nice features but also a lot of polishing.

What we need now is feedback. Please test qBittorrent v2.3.0rc and report back.
I'm leaving on vacation on July 28th and I hope it is stable so that we can make the release before I leave.

I hope you like it :mrgreen:
christophe.dumez

Re: qBittorrent v2.3.0 release is nearing

I forgot to mention that it is time to report bugs / problems, not to ask for features. It is too late for including new features in v2.3.0.

Here is the current Changelog:

* Unreleased - Christophe Dumez <[email protected]> - v2.3.0
- FEATURE: Simplified torrent root folder renaming/truncating (< v2.3.0 is no longer forward compatible) [uTorrent-like]
- FEATURE: Remember previous save paths in torrent addition dialog [uTorrent-like]
- FEATURE: Max number of half-open connections can now be edited
- FEATURE: Added support for strict super seeding
- FEATURE: The user can force listening on a particular network interface
- FEATURE: Added cookie support for RSS feeds
- FEATURE: User can force tracker reannounce
- FEATURE: Added "No action" setting for double-click action
- FEATURE: Several torrents can be moved at once
- FEATURE: Added error state for torrents (error is displayed in a tooltip)
- FEATURE: Added filter for paused/error torrents
- FEATURE: Add Check/Uncheck all feature in Web UI
- FEATURE: Search engine can now be disabled
- FEATURE: Torrents can be automatically paused once they reach a given ratio
- FEATURE: Several files can now be disabled at once
- FEATURE: Added "Select All/None" buttons to files list [uTorrent-like]
- BUGFIX: Hide seeding torrents files priorities in Web UI
- BUGFIX: The user can disable permanently recursive torrent download
- BUGFIX: Peer Exchange status is now correctly reported
- BUGFIX: Use an INI file instead of the registry on Windows (More reliable)
- COSMETIC: Display peers country name in tooltip
- COSMETIC: Display number of torrents in transfers tab label
- COSMETIC: Simplified program preferences
- COSMETIC: Fix naming of actions opening new dialogs (use Name...)
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

That's one huge list .. just as always. Thanks for your hard work. :)
christophe.dumez

Due to several requests, qBittorrent v2.3.0 will no longer ships the client spoofing feature. This feature was originally added because qBittorrent was not popular enough and thus not whitelisted on private trackers. Now, that qBittorrent is gaining popularity, it would be too bad to get blacklisted because of this feature. Let's trust the private trackers admins and hope qBittorrent v2.3 gets whitelisted.

Do not hesitate to contact your tracker's admins to ask for whitelisting. There should (no longer) be any reason for them to refuse.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Question: Christopher .. should I create a News section where you could write these and people could discuss/test/report really minor stuff there?
hoosfoos

Post by hoosfoos »

I'm excited to test this out! will check back with any issues I run into.

Thank you!!!!
Last edited by hoosfoos on Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DasFox

Post by DasFox »

[quote=""christophe.dumez""]Due to several requests, qBittorrent v2.3.0 will no longer ships the client spoofing feature. This feature was originally added because qBittorrent was not popular enough and thus not whitelisted on private trackers. Now, that qBittorrent is gaining popularity, it would be too bad to get blacklisted because of this feature. Let's trust the private trackers admins and hope qBittorrent v2.3 gets whitelisted.

Do not hesitate to contact your tracker's admins to ask for whitelisting. There should (no longer) be any reason for them to refuse.[/quote]

Great nice to hear it qBittorrent is a nice client! ;)

Keep up the great work!
cioma2

Post by cioma2 »

Hi to everyone
i'm a happy user of qbittorrent, but i'm afraid i'll have to switch to another software 'cause with the new version
i can't find the field that allow me to make qbittorent to be recognized as another software (like utorrent and related version)

My favorite tracker allows me to use only a few type of software and qbittorent is not one of them.

Will this feature be integrated in the next versions?
WLS

Post by WLS »

[quote=""cioma2""]Hi to everyone
i'm a happy user of qbittorrent, but i'm afraid i'll have to switch to another software 'cause with the new version
i can't find the field that allow me to make qbittorent to be recognized as another software (like utorrent and related version)

My favorite tracker allows me to use only a few type of software and qbittorent is not one of them.

Will this feature be integrated in the next versions?[/quote]

I guess you didn't read all the threads in this post. :roll:

Postby christophe.dumez » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:49 pm

Due to several requests, qBittorrent v2.3.0 will no longer ships the client spoofing feature. This feature was originally added because qBittorrent was not popular enough and thus not whitelisted on private trackers. Now, that qBittorrent is gaining popularity, it would be too bad to get blacklisted because of this feature. Let's trust the private trackers admins and hope qBittorrent v2.3 gets whitelisted.

Do not hesitate to contact your tracker's admins to ask for whitelisting. There should (no longer) be any reason for them to refuse.

EDIT: So contact your tracker's admins and ask for whitelisting.
DasFox

Post by DasFox »

[quote=""cioma2""]Hi to everyone

Will this feature be integrated in the next versions?[/quote]

Please go back to your tracker and tell them about this program and to download and use it themselves so they can see it first hand.

There is no reason it should not be allowed, in fact any good Torrent client should be allowed on any tracker.

It's time to get the word out! ;)

THANKS

P.S. By the way Chris congratulations on the new release, I haven't installed it in Slackware yet, but I will... ;)
christophe.dumez

No, I'm not planning to add this feature back in a future release. I still believe it was the right thing to do.

Unfortunately, it seems not all the trackers admins are playing along... Actually, they won't even test it:
http://forums.avistaz.com/index.php?showtopic=34555

I guess you should keep asking them to whitelist qBittorrent until they do. One thing is for sure, qBittorrent has never used any ratio cheating feature (as opposed to what the avistaz's admin said...). This behavior is actually controlled by libtorrent-rasterbar, not qBittorrent itself. avistaz whitelisted Deluge (which is also based on the same libtorrent-rasterbar) but won't whitelist qBittorrent... :?:

Don't worry though, some "more serious" private trackers are currently investigating qBittorrent and there are good chances that qBittorrent will get whitelisted on those trackers soon. :D
nevernow

Post by nevernow »

You see, you're counting too much on tracker admins. I know of a big private tracker whose admins are otherwise quite concerned with user-friendliness and usability, but they never even whitelisted the 2.x branch of qbittorrent. On average they're lazy and like to play nazi and qb doesn't have the market share, so to say, to force them to consider it.
In the end you're trading qb's visibility with actual userbase - just make sure that's what you want.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Sadly the admins on the biggest sites are not really active. Saw Kiyiko posting on one, I have also posted on others. No move at all.. so we can only wait for now. :(

http://what.cd/rules.php?p=clients
http://www.bakabt.com/whitelist.php
http://tba.psytorrents.info/rules.php?p=clients (well.. quite a small list)
http://ncore.cc/wiki.php?action=read&id=233
http://www.torrentleech.org/faq.php#29

(If you dont have accounts on sites I can post screenshots about which clients are allowed.)
cioma2

Post by cioma2 »

i've asked the tracker's admin of my favourite torrent sites, but there is no way to make 'em accept qbittorrent.

sadly i've to go on using transmission (i really don't like it) but i have no choice. :(
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

You can still use spoofing. :P (However, that may get you banned ... well never heard about such case, but still there are warnings on What.cd for example.)