anonymity with public proxies

Other platforms, generic questions.
sharebear

anonymity with public proxies

Post by sharebear »

Hi,
first of all I would like to thank the developers for this nice piece of software!

Of course I have a question and I try to make it short. I'm getting back to occasional torrenting after a couple of years break and I have already tried the most recent versions of utorrent, Deluge and now qBittorrent, which seems to do the job best to my standards so far.

Since my standards include a certain degree of anonymity I'm now looking for ways to improve it by identifying and removing the most obvious ID-leaks and hope to get some help here. I read that a private VPN would be the best option however I'll test with public proxy lists for the start. It's a bit hard to find working free SOCKS5 proxies with UDP support but basically it works.

Currently I'm monitoring torrent traffic with tcpview and wireshark and with my setup it seems free of any ID-leaks on the IP (header) level so far. Deluge was leaking a lot btw. I didn't even activate the "anonymity feature" of qB (libtorrent).

Now where are possible leaks below that level - i.e. address or other ID-info transported within the bittorrent protocol/data? Client fingerprint seems to be one thing although it can be switched off. Anything else to look at?