"Checking resume data" when adding a torrent

Other platforms, generic questions.
peterd

"Checking resume data" when adding a torrent

Post by peterd »

For some time now I've been running into an issue where sometimes if I add a torrent that already has something downloaded, qbt will do a check, then it will enter a loop where it will continuously restart the check with the message "Checking resume data." If the torrent is completely downloaded it will pop up the message box saying that the download is complete every time, but it never breaks out of the loop. I have to pause the torrent manually (or delete it).

I did some searches and found that this problem is related to the fastresume data, but the only solution I found was to delete the downloaded content and start from scratch. But that's not a solution if I'm loading up a torrent because it needs seeders, or if I just want to validate a torrent's contents.

I did find two workarounds. One is to check the "Skip hash check" box when I load the torrent. Then I can pause it, do "Force recheck," and then unpause it. The other workaround is to uncheck the "Recheck torrents on completion" option in Advanced before I load the torrent. (I routinely leave that option enabled.) The fact that either of those workarounds work implies to me that there is some sort of race condition between setting the flag that indicates that the torrent has been checked, and updating the fastresume data. But that's just a WAG. In any case, it doesn't seem to me that either of those should be needed.

To make things more weird, it doesn't happen with every torrent. And there is no clear pattern. It both does, and does not happen with single file torrents (with and without subdirectories), multi-file torrents, fully downloaded, partially downloaded, and it happens in both Ubuntu and native Windows (4.0.4 on both, but it's been happening for a long time). The fact that it happens with so many different circumstances reinforces my belief that it's some sort of race condition.

Happy to provide more data, test, etc.

... and of course, thanks for a great client!  ;D
Adsixnine

Re: "Checking resume data" when adding a torrent

Post by Adsixnine »

nice!!  ;)