Difference between upload slot and connections?

Other platforms, generic questions.
dumbao

Difference between upload slot and connections?

Post by dumbao »

Hello all. I am new to the world of torrent and i am confused with the connection limit settings.

I would like to know what is the difference between upload slot and connection.

With reference to uploading/seeding,
Maximum number of connections per torrent means maximum number of peers who can connect to me when i seed, isn't it?
Then what does Maximum number of upload slots per torrent mean?

Thanks.
Switeck

Re: Difference between upload slot and connections?

Post by Switeck »

Max connections per torrent is the max number of peers that can be connected at once on a single torrent even when there's more peers trying to connect.

Max number of upload slots per torrent is how may of the connected peers qBitTorrent tries to upload to at once (the rest are effectively queued OR ignored completely).
Basically, how thinly you are spreading your upload speed around.

If you have 100 KB/sec upload speed max and allow 100 connections per torrent AND have upload slots per torrent also set to 100 (or don't have a limit on upload slots globally or per torrent), then qBitTorrent will try to upload to every connected peer on a torrent. Average upload speed per peer will be maybe 1 KB/sec at best ...and if you're downloading that torrent many of those peers will SNUB (ignore) your peer and not upload back.

Peers upload almost entirely to the OTHER peers that give them the most back, up to the limit of the number of upload slots they allow. They try to automatically reward the "givers" and ignore the "takers". Most BitTorrent clients limit upload slots per torrent to only 4. For really fast internet connections, you want to be one of their 4 upload slots! But that means you have to upload slightly more to them than almost all other peers. This can be as little as 10 KB/sec to them on public torrents with lots of ADSL-using peers. If you have only 100 KB/sec upload speed max, then 10 KB/sec is 1/10th of that ...so upload slots should be 10 at most spread between all your torrents. So probably BOTH the global upload slot limit as well as the per torrent upload slots should be no greater than 10.
dumbao

Post by dumbao »

Thank you Switeck for the awesome detailed explanation.

Is there any use of having both fields? If i set 'Maximum number of connections per torrent' to 20 and Maximum number of upload slots per torrent to 10 then i will seed to only 10 peers and rest 10 trying to connect to me will be ignored.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

Not quite -- qBitTorrent will cycle around slightly so of the 20 connected peers the 10 upload slots may manage to reach ~15 of them over an hour interval.
The fastest peers will tend to stay upload slots, but the slower ones will only get upload from your seed (or peer) part of the time.
dumbao

Post by dumbao »

Oh yes! I've seen it happen. My Maximum number of upload slots per torrent is 6 but overtime i get connected to 8 peers.

I use qBittorrent for seeding at a private tracker. My up speed is 100Mbps and my settings are:

Global maximum number of connections: 100
Maximum number of connections per torrent: 20
Global maximum number of upload slots: 15
Maximum number of upload slots per torrent: 6

Switeck, are these settings optimal for my up speed? Kindly suggest if any changes need to be done.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

"My up speed is 100Mbps"

So you can sustain an upload speed of 10,000 to 12,000 KiloBYTES/second in qBitTorrent?
Adsixnine

Post by Adsixnine »

thank for the info.  :D
dumbao

Post by dumbao »

not sure about sustaining but i do seed up to 6MBps from what i noticed. it depends on peers download speed, isn't it?
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

Yes, but to reach ~6,000 KB/sec (~6MBps) would require 15 peers downloading that fast in total...since that's all the global upload slots you allowed

If you want to reach a higher upload speed, you might want to allow 60 or more global upload slots. (60 would mean each could get 100 KB/sec for 6,000 KB/sec total upload)
You also may want to increase the number of upload slots per torrent, maybe to 50-80% (10-16) of the connections max per torrent.
dumbao

Post by dumbao »

It's a private tracker and i barely connect to say 6-8 peer in 24 hours and by that time i am finished seeding and then there are more seeders in the swarm. Hence i have kept Global to 15 and per torrent 6. Overall upload speed gets up to 6000 KB/s if there is a peer who got a good download speed. I always connect to few particular peers who download from me at 2-3MB/s, maybe they got a seedbox?

With 6 peers each peer gets equal distribution of my upload speed or it can vary? Of the 100Mbps each of 6 will get 16Mbps or it can got beyond?
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

They can be flooded out by the other seeds uploading to them, so even if they're on fast lines you may be unable to upload to them at 2-3 MB/sec.
Your upload can only be spread equally between 6 peers if they are not overloaded.

So it's due to the private tracker's conditions that are causing your below max and variable upload speeds.
dumbao

Post by dumbao »

Thank you for the explanations.  :)
nickhudson

Post by nickhudson »

Oh, now I understand the difference. Thanks!  :)
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

Currently, due to limitations+bugs the "fastest" or at least most stable DL+UL speeds can be had using qBitTorrent v3.3.16 instead of v4.0.0-4.1.1
I expect that will change before the end of the year as bugs get fixed.
dumbao

Post by dumbao »

So today i got connected to 6 peers for my torrent upload at the private tracker. Out which one was downloading at 5MB/s and other at 3MB/s and cumulative download speed for the rest 4 was 2MB. My up speed was constant at 10MB/s and sometime with bursts, upto 11MB/s.

If this is something to do with some setting on the tracker site then it's fine but if not then, Switeck, can pass on the suggestion to the developers for next upgrade regarding upload speed equally divided between the number of upload slots per torrent because it does not work.

Thanks.