Disappearing peers, unfinished or stalled downloads

Other platforms, generic questions.
nidany

Disappearing peers, unfinished or stalled downloads

Post by nidany »

I've been using Qbittorent 4.1.1 since last May.
Downloading has been plagued with numerous problems: Disappearing peers, stalled downloads - you name it...
Using google in order to find a solution, I've stumbled upon this forum.
I've mostly read Switeck's comprehensive answers & solutions and I admire his vast knowledge and know-how.
I've followed his solutions to the letter, but to no avail. The problems persisted.
They were present in private & public trackers alike.
I suspected my ISP uses "traffic shaping" because of the very large volume of my downloads (mostly BDMV or BluRay remuxes of classical movies).
My ISP denied (what else?)
In my despair, I've tried those mostly unreliable "10 best" sites.
Arbitrarily, I chose BitTorent and installed it a week ago.
As if by a magic wand, all problems disappeared and I enjoy fast, reliable downloads even from those specific torrent files that failed in Qbittorent
Can Switeck explain this? This is definitely not a provocative request!
Switeck

Re: Disappearing peers, unfinished or stalled downloads

Post by Switeck »

qBitTorrent uses the libtorrent library to do its low-level BitTorrent activities.
libtorrent went through a major revision from v1.0.11 to v1.1.0 awhile back that had massive changes (and often not for the better, due to new bugs) as far as tracker/peer/seed/proxy/vpn speed+connectivity is concerned.
qBT v3.3.16 used libtorrent v1.0.11 -- it had more speed+connectivity problems than people at the time realized, but was better than qBT v4.0.x. (You can search for my old posts on the subject if you want more than a cursory mention.)

Everything after qBT v3.3.16 used libtorrent v1.1.0 or later, but some of the qBT logic pointed to the now-missing commands in libtorrent that were removed (as obsolete/consolidated into other commands) going from 1.0.11 to v1.1.0.
Disaster!

qBT v4.1.2 almost reaches qBT v3.3.16 performance for basic use, but still has many serious issues with speed+connectivity.
The rate of bugfixes and improvements of qBT is actually quite good for an open-source all-volunteer free project.
Even before the end of the year, qBitTorrent could be much better than now but is unlikely to rival uTorrent v2.2.1 and later in terms of speed+connectivity due to deep problems in how libtorrent works.

The "official" BitTorent client is just a repackaged uTorrent client with different "additional" (often unwanted) software.
Rafi makes a guide for how to configure uTorrent to disable much of the additional stuff and optimize uTorrent for fast cable and fiber optic lines.

My ancient Speed Guide settings recommendations are extremely optimistic and were designed for back when LOTS of peers+seeds were still 56k and low-end ADSL modems -- so the number of "dead horses" seeds+peers needed to download fast was MUCH greater than now.
Now, I'd recommend setting max connections per torrent as low as 5 and no higher than 50 unless you have 1 gbit/sec SYMMETRIC fiber or faster and only running a couple busy torrents.
While only seeding, there's even less need to stay connected to lots of peers -- so I run with max connections while seeding of only 5-20.
Upload slots per torrent while seeding should not be less than 10 below max connections per torrent.
Global max Upload slots likewise should less than max sustained upload speed divided by 5-100. (100 for the superfast fiber lines running few torrents that want to upload at least 100 KB/sec to each peer, 5 for low-end ADSL.)
Each active seeding torrent requires a minimum of 1 upload slot and won't work smoothly unless there's at least 2 upload slots per torrent AND 3+ connected peers in qBT.

Notice uTorrent/BitTorrent doesn't have a global max upload slots value you can configure? There's sort-of one that autoconfigures in the background causing uTorrent/BT to sometimes upload far less than it should, but those conditions require at least 1 busy torrent and a few/lot of torrents with 1 connected peer. This is doubly bad if the 1 connected peer on lots of torrents is the same ip!

FYI: I run both qBT and uTorrent and even on the same torrents on different computers on different internet connections, uTorrent outperforms qBitTorrent considerably.
I continue testing and critiquing qBT so that it may get better.
nidany

Post by nidany »

Thanks a lot, Switeck.
Adsixnine

Post by Adsixnine »

thx for info.  :D
ReallyCoolName

Post by ReallyCoolName »

I want to use qBt 4.1.2 (over webui in Linux server) with libtorrent 1.0.11.
Will it bring me any advantages/disadvantages over current setup with qBt4.1.1 and libtorrent 1.0.11 ?
Of course I want it to seed ! Download is not problem. Maxes out my line usually.

I'm still not upgraded as some private trackers don't allow 4.1.2 yet.

p.s. I have modified some settings in session.cpp (hopefully to force qBt seed more agressively) and compiled it myself. Default value are simply very poor.
I still wish something like ltConfig plugin as for Deluge client were possible with qBt.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

The conversion of qBT (from v3.3.16 to v4.x.x) over to libtorrent v1.1.x means some of the new features simply cannot work (or work unreliably) if libtorrent v1.0.11 is used instead.

As for Deluge with ltConfig plugin (or equivalent settings in recompiled qBitTorrent) ...use with caution!
https://forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewtopic.php?t=49067
"Right now deluge is uploading two ~120GB torrents with upload speed in 150-200KB/s range - sustained disk read speed is ~5MB/s" (with hints how to avoid that)

LONG message thread about "Connecting to peers takes a long time":
https://forum.deluge-torrent.org/viewto ... =7&t=54560
The solution is to use ltConfig:
"So, that's the problem. If I don't enable High Performance seed it is unable to find to peers properly and If I enable High performance seed it eats my whole bandwidth. Terrible situation."
ReallyCoolName

Post by ReallyCoolName »

@Switeck: So, your advice is to use latest possible libtorent (current 1.1.9) with qbt 4.1.2?
I'm a little bit afraid to use libtorrent 1.1.x as I read somewhere that its use with qbt possibly corrupts torrents.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

Find that "somewhere" please.

I've seen problems with qBT's file handling in libtorrent v1.0.x and older as well -- mentioned at qBitTorrent's github issues, although perhaps not as severe as the "teething problems" qBT v3.4.0 betas and v4.0.x had:
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/6137 "Since the torrent is technically active while being force checked, it can even connect to peers/seeds and download/upload parts of the torrent. This is broken behavior."
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/127 "Just lost over 10,000 files due to this error. Can't believe this hadn't been fixed yet."
ReallyCoolName

Post by ReallyCoolName »

"somewhere" is here - https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/6132

Apparently there is "suspicions".
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

I guess I should add this:
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorr ... -339874865
...Is a list of examples of ways qBT and Deluge can delete data.
Many/most of them were for qBT v3.3.x using libtorrent v1.0.x rather than libtorrent v1.1.x -- Deluge (before v2.x) as well used libtorrent v1.0.x, so it's not "safe" either.

Having said that, I've had uTorrent chew up a few files because of moving them to too-small drives and/or duplicate filenames.