Renaming torrent directory

Other platforms, generic questions.
nevernow

Renaming torrent directory

Post by nevernow »

Hi. Directory handling has been changed in qB 2.3.0. That's not a problem but i miss a small feature that I often used: the ability to quickly rename a torrent's main directory from within the GUI. I'll try to explain myself. Let's say I download a torrent consisting of a directory named "England", which contains three files: "London.mp3", "Bristol.mp3" and "Manchester.mp3". Let's say this torrent was added to qB with the automatic .torrent directory monitoring function, so I didn't manually set options for it. After qB adds it to the downloads, when I look at its details in the Files pane of the GUI, I can't see the "England" directory, only the three MP3 files.
Before 2.3.0, the complete file tree was there, so if I wanted - say - to rename the "England" directory to... "Britain", I could do that from there. What's the correct way to do that now? I managed to do it by using the Set Location option of the torrent from the top pane of the GUI, but that way the new directory needs to be created in the filesystem first; also this option seems more aimed at moving the torrent files than just renaming them (I consider the containing directory "England" part of the torrent). So is this the only/proper way to do what I want to do?

On a related note, when a torrent is manually added and the Display Content And Some Options option is enabled, you do have a chance to manually type the directory name (replacing "/home/user/downloads/England" with "/home/user/downloads/Britain" in my example), but each time you type a character the cursor jumps to the end of the string. I assume this is just a small bug.
christophe.dumez

Re: Renaming torrent directory

Post by christophe.dumez »

[quote=""nevernow""]On a related note, when a torrent is manually added and the Display Content And Some Options option is enabled, you do have a chance to manually type the directory name (replacing "/home/user/downloads/England" with "/home/user/downloads/Britain" in my example), but each time you type a character the cursor jumps to the end of the string. I assume this is just a small bug.[/quote]

Yes, this is a known issue that has been fixed recently in SVN, v2.4.1 will be released tomorrow and it will include this fix.
christophe.dumez

Re: Renaming torrent directory

Post by christophe.dumez »

Before 2.3.0, the complete file tree was there, so if I wanted - say - to rename the "England" directory to... "Britain", I could do that from there. What's the correct way to do that now? I managed to do it by using the Set Location option of the torrent from the top pane of the GUI, but that way the new directory needs to be created in the filesystem first; also this option seems more aimed at moving the torrent files than just renaming them (I consider the containing directory "England" part of the torrent). So is this the only/proper way to do what I want to do?
Yes, the right way to do it now it through the "Set Location..." dialog or the [...] near the torrent save path in torrent properties panel. Yes, this means you need to create the destination directory in some cases but you can do it from the same dialog (since there is usually a "create directory" button in the dialog).

I agree that this part is slightly less convenient than in older versions of qBittorrent but this is not too bad either. One strength of the new behavior is that you can completely remove the root folder (this was not possible in the past).