uTP support status

Other platforms, generic questions.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

uTP support status

Post by Peter »

Chatting about the uTP support should be done here... or at least keep it in one topic.

Basically libtorrent-rasterbar is the "engine" behind qBittorrent. There IS an uTP version of it, yet it's not complete. (Last time I checked it was "needs testing" or something like that.)

But. uTorrent open-sourced their implementation.

Which way to take? Is it better to simply implement the utorrent-utp into libtorrent-rasterbar? Or ...?
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: uTP support status

Post by Nemo »

Nice topic shiki ;),

Well.. I used uTp before when using uTorrent. I kinda liked it at version v2.0+- but the newer versions had negative effects to my speed; Starting good at nice (high) speeds but after few minutes it drops down to 0.0KB/s / 0.2KB/s same with uploading. Surely others must have profit with it, depends on your connection I guess. I don't need a client which keeps an eye on my connection and limits/caps my download/uploadspeed and thats what uTorrent now kinda does in my opinion. If qBittorrent gets uTp support I hope there will be an option to enable/disable it :) . It can differ from uTorrent (I think, if the development team could improve it further for the libtorrent module :D ) and might work better with qB who knows. For windows is uTorrent (as far as I know) the only client which has uTp support otherwise I could try a different client to compare them. We will see.. ;)..
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

uTP is a relatively new stuff. It's been really buggy in the 2.0 release and it's finally getting stable in the 2.2 beta.

However, I wonder about the final implementation. Now it's open-sourced, I can leave the sinking ship soon.. I guess. uTorrent is more like a bloated crap with all the addon, crapware it comes with. Who said that I want an anti-virus with my torrent client...? Don't think its really a wise step by the uTorrent team, but well.. its their decision.

But overall uTP is a good stuff, only uTorrent became a bad stuff recently. (Which is kinda sad... but can't really help it. Wondering about how they'll bloat the linux client. Print ads and stuff into console? Sponsored ads into the webUI? :))
WLS

Post by WLS »

[quote=""shiki""]uTP is a relatively new stuff. It's been really buggy in the 2.0 release and it's finally getting stable in the 2.2 beta.

However, I wonder about the final implementation. Now it's open-sourced, I can leave the sinking ship soon.. I guess. uTorrent is more like a bloated crap with all the addon, crapware it comes with. Who said that I want an anti-virus with my torrent client...? Don't think its really a wise step by the uTorrent team, but well.. its their decision.

But overall uTP is a good stuff, only uTorrent became a bad stuff recently. (Which is kinda sad... but can't really help it. Wondering about how they'll bloat the linux client. Print ads and stuff into console? Sponsored ads into the webUI? :))[/quote]

What addon, crapware does it come with? Nobody says you have to use it, and I see anti-virus checking requested. http://www.utorrent.com/ideabank

I have uTP disabled in uTorrent 2.0.4, and I don't think they will bloat the Linux client. The webUI server version is the only one available so far and it looks pretty nice! Now if only could remember not to click on a link when I'm on that tab. :lol:
christophe.dumez

Post by christophe.dumez »

[quote=""shiki""]
Basically libtorrent-rasterbar is the "engine" behind qBittorrent. There IS an uTP version of it, yet it's not complete. (Last time I checked it was "needs testing" or something like that.)

But. uTorrent open-sourced their implementation.

Which way to take? Is it better to simply implement the utorrent-utp into libtorrent-rasterbar? Or ...?[/quote]

The libtorrent-rasterbar author is also a Bittorrent Inc. employee. As a consequence, he probably also works on uTorrent.
As far as I know, the uTP implementation in libtorrent is almost complete so we should get it soon enough in qBittorrent (Basically, as soon as arvid makes a new stable libtorrent-rasterbar release with uTP in it).
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

"so we should get it soon enough in qBittorrent (Basically, as soon as arvid makes a new stable libtorrent-rasterbar release with uTP in it)."

AWESOME! :)
vac2010

Post by vac2010 »

oops, I posted first on the "Suggestions" board the uTP could be added (I did a search first but nothing come up), didn't notice this thread, but I deleted now the post... :oops:

Otherwise, I think it's nice to have uTP, works much better with browsers as the browser gets immediate access to greater bandwidth when needed intermittently and it is really noticeable.