How can I reduce the amount of temporary space qBittorrent uses?

Other platforms, generic questions.
mojo-chan

How can I reduce the amount of temporary space qBittorrent uses?

Post by mojo-chan »

I was just downloading a 37GB torrent. As soon as it finished my drive recovered 19GB of free space. Apparently during downloading that's how much data was in temporary files that were deleted when it finished.

Not all files in the torrent were selected for download and I use sparse files. I am running on Windows but I think this is a generic problem, not OS specific. qBt V4.2.5.

How can I prevent this happening? I want to limit the amount of temporary data stored, or ideally reduce it to zero and just have data written directly to the files. I have an SSD so speed should not be an issue.
SideshowBob

Re: How can I reduce the amount of temporary space qBittorrent uses?

Post by SideshowBob »

I don't think it keeps any large temporary files, what it does have are the unwanted files which have to be kept because generally files don't meet on part boundaries. This may vary slightly between platforms, but in unix they are stored in hidden directories. As sparse files they don't take up much space, aside from the end pieces and whatever had already downloaded when you marked them as "Do not download".

I don't know that this explains what you are seeing, in my experience these files get left in the incomplete directory, but it's the closest thing I'm aware of.
mojo-chan

Re: How can I reduce the amount of temporary space qBittorrent uses?

Post by mojo-chan »

It doesn't explain why I was seeing an extra 19GB of space consumed during the download. I have sparse files enabled on NTFS.

One other thing that can fix this is to close qBittorrent and open it again. Closing it seems to do some tidying up that frees the space up.