Real IP exposed. What went wrong?

Other platforms, generic questions.
020guy

Real IP exposed. What went wrong?

Post by 020guy »

I recently discovered that my real IP has been exposed, I could see it on the peers list. Upon examining the log, it shows "Detected External IP: my.real.ip", then "External IP: my.vpn.ip".

The files I downloaded can also be seen on Iknowwhatyoudownlod. What could have gone wrong? I always turn on VPN before I open Qbittorrent. It was not an issue until a few weeks ago, I have stopped using qB for the time being.

There have been other posts discussing similar issue on Reddit, but there has not been a good solution.

I use the latest qB on Mac. Thanks everyone!
gderf

Re: Real IP exposed. What went wrong?

Post by gderf »

Not sure if this is applicable to your use case and version of qbt.

In your Settings | Advanced - what Network interface and Optional IP address to bind to are you using?

Also you should be running a special torrent that shows you what IP the trackers see for you.

https://trak.evilvibes.com/
9pigs

Post by 9pigs »

My VPN provider showed me a setting in qBittorrent that was doing this to me:-- my VPN address **and** my personal address were both out there --- tested at https://ipleak.net.

---"qBittorrent Preferences -> Advanced -> Network interface and choose the correct interface utilized by ProtonVPN (ex. ipsec0 if you are using the IKEv2 protocol)"

Mine was set to "any" --- after I changed it to "ipsec0", it was fixed.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Yeah, this way you bind the program to the VPN, no traffic unless it's active.
But... The VPN's killswitch should have still protected you. Should have. Shame on the provider tbh.

What if you used something else? What if your IP leaked where it actually matters?
These are the big, great "secure you" providers.
I am ranting but I so hate these scammers.

Please, use a known/good provider, such as Mullvad, Windscribe, etc.
We/I are not associated with them in any way, and there are more "good ones" out there, of course.
But there are tons of money grabbers out there too.
9pigs

Post by 9pigs »

Peter,
You said " this way you bind the program to the VPN, no traffic unless it's active. But... The VPN's killswitch should have still protected you"

Two things:
1. I'm guessing that interface setting is what you are referring to.
There are 18 interfaces listed (besides "Any""-- and I have no idea what they mean/ are. The docs are not helpful to me.

Tell me more about binding the program to the VPN -- I'd love to have a guaranteed no torrent unless the vpn is up thingy (qBittorrrent kill switch?).

2. My VPN killswitch stops all traffic on an unexpected disconnect and initiates a reconnect sequence. Nothing else goes in or out until a successful reconnect. A Manual disconnect does not call the kill switch action.
Should I expect something else?
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

Have you disabled UPnP/NAT-PMP in qBitTorrent?

It won't work with a VPN or proxy and may leave your real IP even more exposed...

ALSO disable DHT and LSD/LPD (Local seed/peer discovery), since these too can advertise on your real IP.