What is the difference between "qBittorrent 4.3.8" and "qBittorrent/4.3.8" client version string?

Other platforms, generic questions.
raccoon

What is the difference between "qBittorrent 4.3.8" and "qBittorrent/4.3.8" client version string?

Post by raccoon »

When examining peers for a given torrent, I will see some clients identify themselves as "qBittorrent 4.3.8" and others as "qBittorrent/4.3.8", with or without a slash. Can someone please tell me the significance of the slash? Are one of these clients falsely reporting with a fake client ID? Is one Linux and the other Windows?
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What is the difference between "qBittorrent 4.3.8" and "qBittorrent/4.3.8" client version string?

Post by Peter »

Well, I only know one fork of the project.
This version is not official and is meant for a specific "market": https://github.com/c0re100/qBittorrent-Enhanced-Edition

I checked both this fork and official 4.3.8 and they both use "/".
The fork even uses "Enhanced" in this version.
(it's in src\base\bittorrent\session.cpp)

The simple space thing got changed in 2017.
Soooo... interesting. Which country used that "space peer"? Did you see the flag/IP?
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What is the difference between "qBittorrent 4.3.8" and "qBittorrent/4.3.8" client version string?

Post by Nemo »

Could also be fake/cheating clients, spoofing as a (recent) version number. I see it too sometimes when I look at the peerlist.