Speed rolling 1 - 11mib/s

MAC OS X specific questions, problems.
Daskarzine

Speed rolling 1 - 11mib/s

Post by Daskarzine »

Hi - not sure what's going on. I love qBitt, but have had a lot of problems of late with it not downloading anything despite having plnty of seeders and trackers, but now that seems to be working the speed is rolling from 0 to 13mib/s continually - up and down, up and down.

Not sure why? Can anyone help me out?

I am using a Socks5 proxy.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Speed rolling 1 - 11mib/s

Post by Peter »

Well, SOCKS5. There is your answer. Speed depends on your SOCKS5/VPN provider. It's not something you can change/"fix".
Simply disable it, add an Ubuntu ISO torrent and see how much speeds you reach.

Normal VPN is the same. Sometimes a server will be fast, sometimes it'll be slow.
- Sometimes the servers for the providers get busy.
- Sometimes the servers don't have enough bandwidth.
- Sometimes YOU don't have enough international bandwidth.

It's a tricky thing. Basically even if you have let's say 100mbps internet - it does NOT mean you have 100mbps EVERYWHERE.
You have a MAXIMUM theoretical 100mbps connection. BUT, it is NEVER guaranteed that you have it to every point of the world.
So if it so happens that the VPN/SOCKS server falls in a place where you are kinda limited, well, you might end up with only 10mbps speeds to that point.

I have this all the time. 1gbps connection. Sometimes I have ~900-1000mbps connection speeds to servers. Sometimes its barely 6-15mbps. It's just how the internet works.
Daskarzine

Post by Daskarzine »

yeah, thanks, but the speeds I get are rolling from 1 - 11mib/s withing the space of say 30 seconds - up and down. Not on different days or different torrents!
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Is your storage able to keep up? Could be a sign of IO exhaustion on YOUR end.
Ie.: Hard drive cannot write fast enough.
(You can increase ram cache in Advanced Settings, but of course, this will increase the ram use. Only do that if you have enough ram available tho.)
Daskarzine

Post by Daskarzine »

Thanks 64GB of RAM, so have plenty and 1TB free on my HDD - I'll try that!

Is that 'Disk Cache'? It's set at ) currently

Cheers
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Yes, that is Disk Cache. You can set it to 512MB, 1GB or something around that. Maybe 2GB if you are really generous.
Daskarzine

Post by Daskarzine »

ok, thanks!