Completed Downloads - transfer for seeding.

MAC OS X specific questions, problems.
mgr

Completed Downloads - transfer for seeding.

Post by mgr »

The internal hard drive of my macbook isn't that big. So I use to transfer (move not copy) completed downloads to an external NAS for further seeding. Usually that won't work though :( Setting a new path afterwards is not always accepted/shown in the General Tab. A force re-check usually doesn't go to 100% seems as qBittorrent does not recognize the completed download but starts downloading again to my download folder :( My settings: downloads to folder "downloads", not completed torrents to "downloads/temp/". Manual move goes to NAS /torrents/<file extension>/. In some single cases that works as expected, in most cases qB starts the download again from the start. That happens regardless of the torrent being paused or active seeding :(

Is that a systematic bug or do I something wrong to cause qBittorrent not to accept the already downloaded data ???
mgr

Re: Completed Downloads - transfer for seeding.

Post by mgr »

Sorry, forgot my program versions

qBittorrent 3.0.6, OSX 10.6.8, QNAP NAS 3.7.3
loki

Post by loki »

hmm, I think I read somewhere that NAS doesn't work directly from within the program, you're telling it to move the completed torrent, or on completion, to move to a NAS location?
Also, I don't know if this might be OSX specific, I can't test or confirm.
mgr

Post by mgr »

[quote="loki"]
hmm, I think I read somewhere that NAS doesn't work directly from within the program, you're telling it to move the completed torrent, or on completion, to move to a NAS location?
[/quote]

Well I have another torrent (Data > 400 GB) which seems to work with a download folder on the NAS, after some trial and error I now set the download folder, wait for completion (that works at least) and I move the completed files. There the recheck (and thus seeding) won't work :(
I tried this procedure with two different NAS - same problem with both :( I don't have an idea why it works sometimes and why sometimes I can't convince qB to find the files for re-check  :'(

Did I read correct: can I tell qB to move a torrent data file after completion? Where and how? That is a feature I miss - coming from uTorrent.

[quote="loki"]
Also, I don't know if this might be OSX specific, I can't test or confirm.
[/quote]

I can't help you - I own the Macbook just for 6 months - both my win machines don't like standing now in the middle of nowhere and strike :(  :'(
loki

Post by loki »

Move a torrents files upon completion? No. But it does have a manual selection as follows:
Right-click (or whatever the Mac equivalent is) on completed torrent and Set location... should bring up a dialog that lets you select the new location.
Also a lot of other useful features in this menu, if you've overlooked it up to this point.
mgr

Post by mgr »

[quote="loki"]
Right-click (or whatever the Mac equivalent is) on completed torrent and Set location... should bring up a dialog that lets you select the new location.
Also a lot of other useful features in this menu, if you've overlooked it up to this point.
[/quote

Well I love this menu - but alas the setting new location did not move the downloaded data file (I assumed that at first). A manual move of the data file has the same result : a force recheck (I originally switched fro :'(m uTorrent) does not check the datafile but starts downloading again - destroying the already downloaded content this way  :'(
mgr

Post by mgr »

Just as a follow up: switching to 3.0.8 seems to have solved the problem in most cases. Not in every case, but the positive results have significantly increased (up tp 90 % of my moved torrents now seed after moving :) ).
slayer1919

Post by slayer1919 »

Ubuntu 10.04 - qBittorrent v2.7.3

Hi, I just tested this on my Ubuntu system and it works.  A similar process should work for the MAC (I like MAC's but I don't have anything newer then a Macintosh Classic 2 ;) )

First thing I did was create a folder called "torrent_files"

Then I set the below option in qBittorrent to that location.  I didn't have this option set before but the program automagically found the .torrent files and put them there:

Options->Downloads
Copy .torrent files to:
/home/user/Downloads/torrents/torrent_files
*Takes about a minute to show up

I moved all of my files in completed folder to my NAS location (/home/user/Downloads/torrents/completed -> /mnt/NAS/torrents/completed)

I then changed the following option to save the completed files:
Save files to location:
/home/user/Downloads/torrents/completed

To my NAS location:
Save files to location:
/mnt/NAS/torrents/completed

I then went into qBittorent and right clicked on one as a test and went to "delete" (leaving delete files from hard disk unchecked)

Then I found the torrent file in /home/user/Downloads/torrents/torrent_files and copied it to my watched location:

Automatically add torrents from:
Watched Folder
/home/user/Downloads/torrents/watched

After about 20 seconds it started doing a recheck!

Once I confirmed it was seeding and working I reran the steps above but with all of my completed files.
100% were found and rechecked successfully

Hope this helps, cheers!