Stalled

MAC OS X specific questions, problems.
braves95

Stalled

Post by braves95 »

Just installed this program. Setup for btgaurd. But as I add torrents to download, in the status states "Stalled". What does this mean? And how do I fix this?
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Stalled

Post by Peter »

Did you wait long enough?

(I used BTGuard with qBittorrent and it worked flawless.. that's why.)
Make sure the torrents work with BTGuard (in an other client for example). Beause BTGuard makes you passive, so you won't be able to connect too many peers.
mrsfentonmewley

Post by mrsfentonmewley »

Hi there - I am having the exact same problem and am starting to worry BTGuard just sucks ass and was a total waste of money. Did you happen to get any other responses or find a way to fix it yourself?
oddsoul

Post by oddsoul »

I am also having this problem. I tried using BTGuard with the Mac version of uTorrent, and my torrents didn't work with that either, except for the CheckMyTorrentIP checker torrent. (I'm not entirely surprised, since they don't advise using the Mac uTorrent, but I had it already so I thought I'd give it a shot.) Then I shut off the proxy in uTorrent and it is now working with the other torrents. The CheckMyTorrentIP torrent did not work in qBittorrent, but the test torrent on the BTGuard site works with qBittorrent.

However, I was able to get the other torrents I was trying to download to work with BTGuard using Deluge, so the problem ultimately isn't BTGuard it seems.
yz2009

Post by yz2009 »

im having the same problem using btgaurd and qbittorent on my mac. Maybe 1 out of every 15 or 20 torrents will work but the rest just say stalled
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

[quote="mrsfentonmewley"]
Hi there - I am having the exact same problem and am starting to worry BTGuard just sucks ass and was a total waste of money. Did you happen to get any other responses or find a way to fix it yourself?
[/quote]

BTGuard is a proxy. Proxy makes you passive.
That said, your port won't ever be open. But that's just one thing. BTGuard works at one torrents, fails at others. I used it with uTorrent and it was quite a hassle sometimes.
Peers have trouble connecting you, this may be especially problematic if you want to seed too.

In my opinion, you should just get a seedbox. It's not that much either (maybe it's the same cost?) and just use it as a "buffer". Download there, and grab your stuff via SFTP or some other secure method. Then ... when you want, just remove the torrents on the server. Basically it's the same thing. And you can seed as well.
dedlock

Post by dedlock »

Could you perhaps explain what you mean when you say a proxy makes you "passive?" Why does it give you different abilities than someone with a local IP address?

I also have the problem with "stalled" and "paused" torrents (I can't tell what the difference is between these two).

I have noticed that BTGuard does not work with some trackers such as Pirate Bay and BTDigg. I assume that is because those trackers are blocked in the countries where my IP address is being rerouted through.

However, many torrents from other trackers are also stalled so that is not the only explanation for the problem.

LD
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

Just so you know, qbt+btguard has some problems. It is being actively investigated. This a libtorrent bug. Keep an eye on this bug: https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/663
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

I started writing an explanation about BTGuard, but then I had to go.
Basically using a proxy will make you passive, thus will give you less peers to connect to.
(Read about passive/active on FAQs on torrent sites.)

But the bug is also there, as Sledgehammer pointed out.