Low upload speed when seeding

MAC OS X specific questions, problems.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Low upload speed when seeding

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

I think qbittorrent uses correctly libtorrent, which is responsible for the bittorrent implementation. So probably this is a libtorrent shortcoming or bug.
If you want you can file a bug report for libtorrent here: https://code.google.com/p/libtorrent/issues/list

Thanks.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

@tekko, I don't think this is related. And it's been marked as fixed. Also, the OP doesn't seem to have set a limit either(from the screenshots).
tekko

Post by tekko »

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]
@tekko, I don't think this is related. And it's been marked as fixed. Also, the OP doesn't seem to have set a limit either(from the screenshots).
[/quote]

sorry, misread the year.
vlad-i-mir

Post by vlad-i-mir »

After a month-test of another torrent client I decided to come back to qBittorrent, because of the best download performance and stability.
So the issue with low upload is still actual for me.
Your replies regarding this matter will be highly appreciated))
jeps
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jeps »

Your earlier measurement regarding upload/download speed has to be understood in the right way.
If you download 50 MB/s and upload 7 MB/s, you are actually only sharing very little, if anything.
This is because the TCP overhead is included.

So when you say, that the upload speed drops the moment your download is complete, only means that the TCP protocol overhead goes to zero.
Some popular bittorrents are almost saturated and you don't get to upload much.

The above does in no way indicate that qBitorrent is working 100%  :D
vlad-i-mir

Post by vlad-i-mir »

The situation did not changed.
So I left an Issue #684 on qBittorrent GitHub. Waiting for response.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

It's probably due to the hidden global limit of 8-9 upload slots by qBitTorrent, but even that alone wouldn't explain the <2 MiB/sec total upload speed.
Either the peers downloading from vlad-i-mir are overloaded or crippled in some way or they are likely not on fast(er) broadband lines with >10 mbit/sec max download bandwidth.
I would expect to see big upload speed changes as the group of peers being uploaded to changes minute-by-minute -- sometimes faster, sometimes slower peers.

Assuming mostly uncrippled+fast peers, I'd expect the 8-9 upload slot limit to still be able to reach 4-10 MiB/sec. (About 500-2000 KiB/sec upload speed to each.)