OSXish UI

MAC OS X specific questions, problems.
rotoyouoio

OSXish UI

Post by rotoyouoio »

I really really want to use qBittorrent as default but there are a couple of drawbacks that seem to be of little relevance at first glance but in the end mark the whole experience.

I'm talking about the UI of qBittorrent and its compliance with OSX ui standards.

The place in list resembles my priority of the problem.
1. The red/green font colors in list. That's just eye-bleeding.

2. The button colors. Very un cocoa. Just imagine how much smoother qBittorrent would look with grey cocoa icons. How could anyone not agree with me on that?

3. Close window button shutdowns the app.  That behavior is only for apps that have nothing to do when the window is closed. qBittorrent has lots of.

4. This is a minor problem. The only thing I missed from windows was the alignment of windows via screen borders. On mac for this purpose i use the wonderful utility called Cinch. For some reason Cinch cannot handle qBittorrent's window. Any idea why?

5. The status bar icons usually tend to be just black, but qBt's icon stands out with no use at all. (all those functions could be called via dock icon). If it were to show progress/speed - that would be useful.

I'd like to emphasise that I personally see qBittorrent superior to all the other mac clients for the absence of clutter and for efficiency. This criticism's only purpose is to enhance the app.

More so, imagine how qBittorrent's mac community would grow if those simple interface changes would be made and new screenshots be posted on MacUpdate?

Sincerely yours,
some dude.
Last edited by rotoyouoio on Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
littletree76

Re: OSXish UI

Post by littletree76 »

User interface of qBittorrent is created with Qt frame work (http://qt-project.org) rather than Apple CoCoa frame work as Qt is universal (cross-platform) across Windows, Linux and Mac platforms. Thus there is no way to design the user interface solely according to Apple CoCoa guidelines and make it compliance with Mac OS X standards. The qBittorrent application is a open-source project for multiple platforms rather than just Mac,  without Qt frame work there will be no qBittorrent application. As far as software engineering is concerned, there is more to consider than just aesthetic factor (at lower priority).
rotoyouoio

Post by rotoyouoio »

ok, but if someone (even me with no experience) was to create osx-only icons - is it impossible to link to them the osx builds while preserving opensourceness and all?
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

3. Close window button shutdowns the app.  That behavior is only for apps that have nothing to do when the window is closed.
You can tell it not in Preferences.
rotoyouoio

Post by rotoyouoio »

Only if I use the status bar icon, which leads us to point #5.