How to transfer all of my torrents from qBittorrent Linux to qBittorrent OS X?

MAC OS X specific questions, problems.
guygizmo

How to transfer all of my torrents from qBittorrent Linux to qBittorrent OS X?

Post by guygizmo »

I'm switching my torrent server from an older machine running Debian 7.3 to a Mac Mini running OS X 10.9. I was using qBittorrent on Debian and plan to continue using it in OS X. However, I have over 600 torrents that I've been seeding for a long time and want to continue seeding, so I need to transfer them from one installation of qBittorrent to the other.

I did some searching around but didn't find any clear guidance on how to do this. The main advice I found is to add all of the old torrents to the new copy of qBittorrent, making sure to specify the same download directory. While that would certainly work, it's not exactly practical when dealing with over 600 torrents! I could potentially write a script to do it automatically, but I'd prefer it if there was a more straight forward way.

It seems like I should be able to copy over some of Debian qBittorrents settings/data files over to OS X, but I'm not sure which files are necessary, where they should go, and if there's any modifications I should make to them due to switching operating systems.

Fortunately one thing that makes this easier is that none of the torrent locations will change -- the absolute paths of all of the torrents will remain the same between Debian and OS X.

Can anyone give me any advice?
guygizmo

Re: How to transfer all of my torrents from qBittorrent Linux to qBittorrent OS X?

Post by guygizmo »

Well, I do believe I figured it out on my own. The main thing necessary to transfer my torrents over was to copy ~/.local/share/data/qBittorrent/ on my linux system to ~/Library/Application Support/qBittorrent/ on my mac. All of the torrents transferred over, and with a few exceptions probably due to subtle differences in filename encodings or something like that, everything was still listed as completed and seeding. The ones that weren't I just told to rescan and they sorted themselves out. That said, woe unto whomever wants to transfer over a ton of torrents *and* change their location. As far as I can tell there's no good way to do that in the .fastresume files. I'm glad I didn't have to, but I did experiment with it briefly.

I wasn't able to transfer over any settings, though. It looks like the settings files in ~/.config/qBittorrent on Linux correspond to the files in ~/Library/Preferences/ on OS X whose name starts with com.qbittorrent.qBittorrent. However the files in Linux are .conf files and on OS X  they are .plist files so they're not compatible. They both contain the same settings so there's definitely an automated way to convert one to the other, but I wasn't willing to go that far. Fortunately it's not hard to reconfigure everything.
AlexP11223

Re: How to transfer all of my torrents from qBittorrent Linux to qBittorrent OS X?

Post by AlexP11223 »

For those who came across this thread looking how to move from Windows to Linux (though should work for any other OS pairs): you need to copy BT_Backup from your user dir (C:\Users\<your user>\AppData\Local\qBittorrent, ~/.local/share/data/qBittorrent/ etc.) but if the paths don't match (e.g. there is no Windows drive letters on Linux) you have to replace them in .fastresume files.
Here is a tool for that (scroll down for the whole project source code or Windows/.NET .exe) https://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php/top ... 29239.html