Use of "Run an external program on torrent completion"

MAC OS X specific questions, problems.
scooterbaga

Use of "Run an external program on torrent completion"

Post by scooterbaga »

Hello,

I'm trying to get a sound to play when a download finishes. I've made a lot of attempts and nothing seems to work. To test, I'm hitting Resume on a completed torrent assuming as it cycles through to "Paused" it's being "completed".

I've tried entering a path to an application that's soul purpose is to play a sound, entering the terminal/applescript commands to running that application and terminal/applescript commands to play a sound file. None of those seems to work. Perhaps my syntax is wrong?
ciaobaby

Re: Use of "Run an external program on torrent completion"

Post by ciaobaby »

Perhaps my syntax is wrong?
Maybe, but how can we tell????

This thread has all the things you need to test and tell us about the results.
scooterbaga

Post by scooterbaga »

ciaobaby wrote:
Perhaps my syntax is wrong?
Maybe, but how can we tell????

This thread has all the things you need to test and tell us about the results.
The idea being that someone would graciously provide an example of the correct syntax to run a program on a mac.

The link provided explains something far more complex than I'm trying to do, and for windows. It appears to be command prompt syntax. I'm looking for what needs to be typed into that field on a mac to open one program without parameters. From the other post, I'm unable to even determine what program is being launched.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

The idea being that someone would graciously provide an example of the correct syntax to run a program on a mac.
This is not a Mac support forum, it is a qBitTorrent forum, we can only really 'support' the syntax of what you are putting into or getting out of the "command line" entry box, certainly, with more information the mac users here may be able to offer advice on what you maybe doing wrong but before that can happen they need to know WHAT you are doing currently

Nobody can tell you if or how you are "getting it wrong" BEFORE you tell us what "IT" is.
scooterbaga

Post by scooterbaga »

[quote="ciaobaby"]

This is not a Mac support forum, it is a qBitTorrent forum...
[/quote]

Well, my mistake that the only mac section of the qBittorent forums with the subtitle "MAC OS X specific questions, problems." isn't a mac support forum. I hope I haven't come off as ignorant, unhelpful or argumentative.

The following four examples are essentially what I've tried in the run external program field:
  • do shell script "afplay /Users/scooterbaga/Library/Sounds/Dubmarine.aiff"
  • tell application "PlayDubmarine" to activate
  • /Applications/PlayDubmarine.app
  • open /Applications/PlayDubmarine.app
The first two examples work fine via their native applications. Terminal and applescript respectively.
Last edited by scooterbaga on Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.