UI password issues - MAC Yosemite 10.10.2 + qBittorrent 3.1.12

MAC OS X specific questions, problems.
suekh

UI password issues - MAC Yosemite 10.10.2 + qBittorrent 3.1.12

Post by suekh »

Had been running fine on the previous fix, but suddenly it started asking for my UI password...and I had never set one up.  I tried the fix from terminal rm$HOME/Library/Preferences/com.qbittorrent.plist* but it didn't work.  Tried uninstalling and installing the new stable version and same thing happened, which is weird because at no point was a UI set up.  How does one turn off the UI, or reset the password?

Or should I go back to an older version...which from the forums shouldn't be the case as others are reporting it working on Yosemite.  I even tried downloading it first from source forge...and when same thing happened I uninstalled and reinstalled from fosshub.

What am I doing wrong?
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Re: UI password issues - MAC Yosemite 10.10.2 + qBittorrent 3.1.12

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

Does the com.qbittorrent.plist file work? If yes, can you open it and paste its contents here? -If it is a text file-
suekh

Post by suekh »

Here is the message I get in Terminal...please note, prior to the UI password pop-up appearing, torrents were stalling...not sure this is related but something seems to have gone south.  I actually uninstalled and reinstalled v3.1.11.1 again...same problem.  Is it possible that I have not fully uninstalled by dragging apps into the trash and rebooting?  Also in preferences the web user interface is NOT enabled?

Joeys-iMac:~ joeymutis$ com.qbittorrent.plist
-bash: com.qbittorrent.plist: command not found
Joeys-iMac:~ joeymutis$

Joeys-iMac:~ joeymutis$ rm $HOME/Library/Preferences/com.qbittorrent.plist*
rm: /Users/joeymutis/Library/Preferences/com.qbittorrent.plist*: No such file or directory
Joeys-iMac:~ joeymutis$
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Truth is that I don't have a MAC to test this.
Do you have a hidden dir in your $HOME dir named ".config"? If yes, does it have a folder named qBittorrent? If yes, edit the file named qBittorrent.conf, search for this section
[Locking]
locked=true
password=<random data>
and delete it. It should open now.
suekh

Post by suekh »

found the hidden folder...and see the locked=true password section in preview but when I open up in text editor I can't find that string...see attached screenshot showing preview on the left and the open text editor file for reference....

I feel like I'm so close yet still not there!?  Here is the text paste from text editor as well...

bplist00?Ö

!"#$%&'()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?@ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ[\]^_`abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz{|}~ÄÅÇÉÑÖÜáàâäããçãäáêãäáìîïááòôäáõáäáääâûü†°ãá§á¶áì®áãÜãáçáäáááâ±ãâ¥äµãáããªáãæâááã¬áƒ?áããã áÕõŒäãâä¬ããá”á’ã?äÿãááã›á?ã·‚„áâÂáÁËÈâãââáÏÌá¬á?áäÙ_'Preferences.Queueing.MaxActiveDownloads_&Preferences.Bittorrent.sameDHTPortAsBT_Preferences.WebUI.Username_"Preferences.Downloads.DblClOnTorDl_%Preferences.Connection.Proxy.Password_Preferences.General.ExitConfirm_'Preferences.Downloads.NewAdditionDialog_!Preferences.Connection.Proxy.Port_&Preferences.General.PreventFromSuspend_Preferences.DynDNS.Username_"Preferences.General.NoSplashScreen_ Preferences.Connection.ProxyType_LegalNotice.Accepted_&Preferences.Downloads.TorrentExportDir_$Preferences.MailNotification.enabled_'Preferences.Connection.GlobalDLLimitAlt_Preferences.State.size_+TorrentProperties.Trackers.TrackerListState_!Preferences.Downloads.AppendLabel_AutoRun.enabled_'Preferences.Downloads.DiskWriteCacheTTL_#AddNewTorrentDialog.treeHeaderState_"Preferences.Connection.InetAddress_Preferences.IPFilter.Enabled_(Preferences.Connection.MaxHalfOpenConnec_$Preferences.Advanced.IncludeOverhead_%Preferences.MailNotification.username_!Preferences.General.UseRandomPort_AutoRun.program_%Preferences.Connection.Proxy.Username_"Preferences.Advanced.TrayIconStyle_(Preferences.MailNotification.smtp_server_Preferences.General.Locale_TransferList.HeaderState_TorrentProperties.SplitterSizes_Preferences.Advanced.osCache_ Preferences.ExecutionLog.enabled_#Preferences.Connection.PortRangeMin_+Preferences.Connection.Proxy.Authentication_"Preferences.Downloads.DblClOnTorFn_Preferences.Scheduler.Enabled_'Preferences.Connection.GlobalUPLimitAlt_Preferences.Connection.Proxy.IP_%Preferences.Downloads.TempPathEnabled_(Preferences.General.AlternatingRowColors_%Preferences.Queueing.MaxActiveUploads_Preferences.Connection.UPnP_#Preferences.Downloads.PreAllocation_Preferences.WebUI.Port_$Preferences.MailNotification.req_ssl_$Preferences.Connection.InterfaceName_,Preferences.Downloads.UseIncompleteExtension_*Preferences.Advanced.AnnounceToAllTrackers_$Preferences.Queueing.QueueingEnabled_!Preferences.Bittorrent.Encryption_(Preferences.Downloads.DownloadInScanDirs_ Preferences.Advanced.updateCheck_Preferences.DynDNS.Service_ Preferences.Scheduler.start_time_ Preferences.Connection.Interface_$TorrentAdditionDlg.save_path_history_TorrentProperties.Visible_%Preferences.MailNotification.req_auth_+Preferences.Connection.ResolvePeerCountries_Preferences.Bittorrent.PeX_+Preferences.Bittorrent.MaxConnecsPerTorrent_'Preferences.Queueing.IgnoreSlowTorrents_$Preferences.Advanced.IgnoreLimitsLAN_Preferences.Bittorrent.MaxRatio_Preferences.Scheduler.days_"Preferences.Downloads.StartInPause_"Preferences.Advanced.AnonymousMode_Preferences.Bittorrent.LSD_'TransferListFilters.selectedFilterIndex_Preferences.WebUI.Enabled_%TorrentProperties.Peers.PeerListState_Preferences.State.pos_+Preferences.Connection.ProxyPeerConnections_'Preferences.General.ProgramNotification_Preferences.Bittorrent.uTP_'Preferences.Bittorrent.uTP_rate_limited_Preferences.Downloads.ScanDirs_"Preferences.General.MinimizeToTray_MainWindow.geometry_$Preferences.Connection.GlobalUPLimit_MainWindowLastDir_.Preferences.Downloads.FinishedTorrentExportDir_+Preferences.Advanced.confirmTorrentDeletion_(Preferences.Downloads.DiskWriteCacheSize_Preferences.DynDNS.Password_TorrentProperties.CurrentTab_Preferences.WebUI.LocalHostAuth_,Preferences.Downloads.NewAdditionDialogFront_"Preferences.General.StartMinimized_ TransferListFilters.customLabels_Preferences.DynDNS.Enabled_Locking.password_"Preferences.General.SystrayEnabled_ Preferences.Advanced.trackerPort_"Preferences.MailNotification.email_AddNewTorrentDialog.width^Locking.locked_Preferences.General.CloseToTray_#Preferences.Advanced.trackerEnabled_ported_to_new_savepath_system_Preferences.Scheduler.end_time_*Preferences.Connection.InterfaceListenIPv6_Preferences.DynDNS.DomainName_Preferences.WebUI.UseUPnP_$Preferences.Connection.GlobalDLLimit_Preferences.Bittorrent.DHTPort_!Preferences.Bittorrent.MaxUploads_AddNewTorrentDialog.expanded_%Preferences.Bittorrent.MaxRatioAction_!Preferences.Bittorrent.MaxConnecs_&Preferences.Advanced.LtTrackerExchange_&Preferences.Queueing.MaxActiveTorrents_MainWindow.vsplitterState_Preferences.Downloads.SavePath_%Preferences.Advanced.OutgoingPortsMin_Preferences.Bittorrent.DHT_AddNewTorrentDialog.y_%Preferences.Advanced.OutgoingPortsMax_!Preferences.Advanced.SuperSeeding_ TorrentProperties.FilesListState_#Preferences.General.RefreshInterval_+Preferences.Connection.ResolvePeerHostNames_+Preferences.Bittorrent.MaxUploadsPerTorrent_(Preferences.Advanced.RecheckOnCompletion_ Preferences.State.hSplitterSizes_Preferences.WebUI.HTTPS.Enabled_%Preferences.MailNotification.password_Preferences.Downloads.TempPathUadmin
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-03-21 at 1.25.44 PM.png
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

It seems that that file isn't actually a text file that's why you get garbled output in the text editor.
Try deleting the file altogether. I remember users saying that OS X caches files, so even if you delete it the system might still use the cached filed. There was a command that you could issue in the terminal to make it drop the cached files but I don't remember what it was.

What is the path where you finally found this file?
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

There was a command that you could issue in the terminal to make it drop the cached files but I don't remember what it was.
purge ( or sudo purge)
suekh

Post by suekh »

I found it in Home/Library/Preference along with these other qbittorrent files:  org.qbittorrent.plist, com.qbittorrent.qBittorrent-resume.plist, com.qbittorrent.qBittorrent.plist ... can/should I delete these other files as well?

purge in terminal didn't work...sudo purge resulted in the following warning:

WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

should I restart after deleting the plist files?
suekh

Post by suekh »

Researched the clear cache commands for Yosemite and they are

sudo discoveryutil mdnsflushcache
sudo discoveryutil udnsflushcaches

but I still get the sudo warning and none of the tutorials indicate that should happen?
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

The sudo command gives superuser/root privileges to the next command hence the warning.
qbittorrent-resume doesn't have anything to do with the above problem.
org.qbittorrent.plist: I don't know what is saved in here.
The preferences are saved in the one you tried to open.

Btw, first exit qbt and then delete+purge the files. Then start again to see if it worked.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

From here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202292
defaults is a command-line tool that you can use to read and edit property lists. It is efficient to use when you know the specific key and value in a property list that you need to change.
PlistBuddy is another command-line tool for directly reading and modifying values inside a property list. It is more flexible than defaults when you need to make changes a complex plist file.
So see how to use the 2 programs to delete locking/locked keyword.
suekh

Post by suekh »

so I have solved the lock...I deleted all files...I deleted qbittorrent...I reinstalled version 3.1.12...I can now access the dashboard and added a torrent download but it is stalled and won't resume....sigh.  Was having this problem prior to the UI lock password issue.  Could this be a bug?
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Do seeds appear in the columns?
Can you paste the log here? (view->execution log)
Remove any torrent info from there.