Search does not return any results

MAC OS X specific questions, problems.
Samoth

Search does not return any results

Post by Samoth »

Hi, I'm on a Mac running Yosemite 10.10.3 and qBT 3.1.12. qBT appears to run fine except for the search function, which never produces any results. I'm quite sure there are no missing components as search works fine at my work. They don't allow me to download anything though so that's of no use. What could be the cause of this and how do I fix it?
ciaobaby

Re: Search does not return any results

Post by ciaobaby »

What could be the cause of this
Your home ISP is blocking the torrent indexing sites that are being searched.
Samoth

Post by Samoth »

Is there any way to test this? I'm in the UK and some of the usual suspects are blocked by law, but why would it work at my work place then?
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Depends who the provider is.

As far as I am aware BT are not redirecting torrent sites on their business broadband and fractional leased lines, only the retail lines are redirecting the specified site.

O2 broadband (now operated by Sky), Sky, Virgin Media, Talk Talk, EE, Orange, Zen Internet all do but Plus Net being a "smaller ISP" currently are exempted from the court order that was 'adjusted' and applied in Nov 2014.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

Have you python installed?
Have you enabled all search engines?
Do you search with a really common name(to produce results)?
Samoth

Post by Samoth »

Python? not sure. I do have all search engines enabled and I tried searching a really common name that should produce lots of hits. My provider is Sky.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Python is a script language that needs to be installed on your computer before the search plugins work.
My provider is Sky.
Sky reroute ALL requests for the majority of torrent indexing sites to http://blocked.nb.sky.com/ so you will not get any search results for any sites other than http://ligittorrents.info, http://www.mininova.org/ and a couple of others.
Samoth

Post by Samoth »

OK, but shouldn't at least the engines you mentioned that are not blocked by Sky return results? I really do get nothing at all.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Only if there are any results from them. And if you are searching for content or material that is subject to copyright, those two will probably not have any results to display.
Samoth

Post by Samoth »

OK, it looks like I just won't be able to use qBT at home then. Thanks for the info though.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Being on Sky Broadband doesn't stop me using qbittorrent at all.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

Do the same sites work from the browser? If yes, then the problem is with qbt
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]
Do the same sites work from the browser?
[/quote]

They don't/won't
Argo

Post by Argo »

Did you try changing your DNS? Use those of Google: https://developers.google.com/speed/pub ... docs/using
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Did you try changing your DNS?
I never use ISP DNS servers, but it is not  DNS where the sites are re-routed, if it were that easy to 'hijack' a URL through third party DNS servers every hijacker on the planet would be redirecting Amazon, eBay etc.

The redirection is done through Sky's Border Gateway routers using packet capture and rewriting.