Torrent Queueing stops seeding

MAC OS X specific questions, problems.
Don911

Torrent Queueing stops seeding

Post by Don911 »

I just started to use qBittorrent, but something doesn't seem right. I'm using v3.3.3 on Mac OS 10.11.4.

I have 450 torrents loaded. They are all seeding and around 5-6 are of them active uploads. However, if I check the box "Torrent Queueing", and then set "Maximum active downloads" to 5, "Maximum active uploads" to 5, and "Maximum active torrents" to 10, I was expecting that all my torrents would still seed, but that the actual number of active uploads and downloads would be limited to 5 each. Instead, when I enable "Torrent Queueing" like this, all but 5 of my torrents stop seeding, and the status of the other 445 torrents is now "Queued". This seems like a bug to me. Any thoughts?
ciaobaby

Re: Torrent Queueing stops seeding

Post by ciaobaby »

Nope, just your understanding of how "queueing" works is flawed.

If you only have five maximum active allowed, that is all that will be cycled through the available time sharing, regardless of whether they are seeding or downloading,

See: this post
KitKat

Post by KitKat »

[quote="Don911"]
I just started to use qBittorrent, but something doesn't seem right. I'm using v3.3.3 on Mac OS 10.11.4.

I have 450 torrents loaded. They are all seeding and around 5-6 are of them active uploads. However, if I check the box "Torrent Queueing", and then set "Maximum active downloads" to 5, "Maximum active uploads" to 5, and "Maximum active torrents" to 10, I was expecting that all my torrents would still seed, but that the actual number of active uploads and downloads would be limited to 5 each. Instead, when I enable "Torrent Queueing" like this, all but 5 of my torrents stop seeding, and the status of the other 445 torrents is now "Queued". This seems like a bug to me. Any thoughts?
[/quote]

The real issue is there is no way to set seed priority ;)

The "queued" tag just means there are no available upload slots, and when one becomes available it will cycle through them til it finds another peer asking for a piece, then it will mark everything as "queued" again.
All your torrents are still seeding but your 5 slots are in use so it retitles them. Maybe it shouldnt as it can lead to confusion.
If you wish to seed more torrents simultaneously then increase your maximum slots past 5.

My settings are 25 max active and 24 upload slots.
Because if i want to download MORE than 1 thing at once i can "force" them and steal seed slots.
And my seed slots only get consumed if im actively seeding something. And as i seed dying torrents & VM images i rarely hit all 24 slots..
Last edited by KitKat on Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don911

Post by Don911 »

[quote="ciaobaby"]
Nope, just your understanding of how "queueing" works is flawed.[/quote]

Perhaps, but I'm just comparing things to how they work in uTorrent, which I have used for many years. My aim is to have all my torrents seeding, so that I get "Seeding points" with the private trackers I belong to, but at the same time I only want about 5 torrents at a time to be connected with peers and actually uploading data. This is on order to not spread the bandwidth too thin among the leechers.

What settings do I use in qBittorrent to accomplish the same thing? If I don't use "Torrent Queueing", then all the torrents are seeding and I get the "points". But then I can't control how many people actually can leech from me at any one time. And if I use "Torrent Queueing" to limit "Maximum active uploads" to 5, then the other torrents are not seeding and I won't get any "seeding points" with the trackers. Any help would be appreciated.
KitKat

Post by KitKat »

[quote="Don911"]
[quote="ciaobaby"]
Nope, just your understanding of how "queueing" works is flawed.[/quote]

Perhaps, but I'm just comparing things to how they work in uTorrent, which I have used for many years. My aim is to have all my torrents seeding, so that I get "Seeding points" with the private trackers I belong to, but at the same time I only want about 5 torrents at a time to be connected with peers and actually uploading data. This is on order to not spread the bandwidth too thin among the leechers.

What settings do I use in qBittorrent to accomplish the same thing? If I don't use "Torrent Queueing", then all the torrents are seeding and I get the "points". But then I can't control how many people actually can leech from me at any one time. And if I use "Torrent Queueing" to limit "Maximum active uploads" to 5, then the other torrents are not seeding and I won't get any "seeding points" with the trackers. Any help would be appreciated.
[/quote]

How does your tracker award points?
If it rewards points by been an active seeder (actually uploading) then the setting you have now is correct.
Libtorrent(qbittorents "core") will rotate through "queued" torrents when slots become available as ciao said.

If it rewards just showing up in the tracker as a "seeder" then disable torrent queueing.
I cant think of any trackers that reward that ^ though.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

If it rewards just showing up in the tracker as a "seeder" then disable torrent queueing.
Or set your "Maximum active torrents" to -1 which really means "No limit",  then libtorrent will apply your maximum seeding and uploading numbers to all of the "resumed" tasks.