OSX 3.4.0 builds?

MAC OS X specific questions, problems.
victorhooi

OSX 3.4.0 builds?

Post by victorhooi »

Hi,

The beta release of 3.4.0 was announced a couple of weeks ago.

It said that OSX builds might follow.

I'm just curious why the might? Did something happen with the OSX builds? Any ETA on when they might be available? Or issue tracking them?

Thanks,
Victor
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: OSX 3.4.0 builds?

Post by Peter »

We don't have any devs (AFAIK) with OS X / MAC. So... yeah.
OS X was at least available in Vmware format years ago, but now even that's gone. Today you can only get a DMG and last time I spent a weekend trying to hack together a Vmware guest with OS X - without any luck. So Apple is not making people's life easier.

Maybe if someone donates a Mac to sledge he will make builds? I don't know.
You can rent a Mac Mini for example, but it's like 70 EUR or more (just checked a site: https://www.macstadium.com/mac-mini/ ).
Last edited by Peter on Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
interconnect

Post by interconnect »

Well then I guess you should remove all references to Mac support on your site, instead of leading people to believe that you are actively developing a Mac bittorrent client.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

The client is actively built. But Apple asks for 100$ / dev license.
I have downloaded a couple of OS X ISOs (though they are only El Capitan), and I will try to make them work in Virtualbox.

But, the sign issue is still there. (Basically, we should sign the program, so it would work flawless (no popup/warning), but we need a dev license for that.)
interconnect

Post by interconnect »

Btw, 4.4.0beta2 does not run on 10.12.6.  Crashes on launch.
thestuck

Post by thestuck »

@interconnect I've just tested v3.4.0beta2 on 10.12.6 and while it does crash intermittently at launch, it isn't that frequent to be a big deal. It's beta after all. Everything else works fine.

Peter: You can find a .vmdk of OS X 10.12 to use with VirtualBox from Techsviewer with a quick Google search. I've had good luck with that on my Windows machines. It's unfortunate the way Apple complicates things the way they do, I know. Anyways, thanks for all the hard work you guys do in helping to build a solid client. Appreciated!
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

So, just so no one will call me out on this.

I DID download VirtualBox which has one of the only virtualizations for OSX on other platforms.
I DID install OS X El Capitan on it.

And then it turns out, you cannot install XCode for El Capitan anymore.
You want to update? Too bad, it breaks the OS in the virtual machine.

So, there you have it. :(
I also looked at providers but God, they are so expensive. Even virtual ones are waaay crazy high priced.
Rubl

Post by Rubl »

Hi Peter

Would donations make any difference, so we can get proper MacOS support for qBittorrent? https://www.qbittorrent.org/donate

If so, I think you should state that to the community! I am pretty sure there are many MacOS users (my self including) out there willing to make a donation for this cause.

Of course our donation should come with a promise, that the donation is used to make qBittorrent better supported on MacOS in the future.
Last edited by Rubl on Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

I am in no position to talk for the devs, sadly. We had an Apple magician amongst the devs at the beginning of qBittorrent, but then life kept him busy and he had to stop contributing. So money wise, yeah it would cost someone to buy an Apple license so the app could be published in the App Store and we would also need a certification to sign things.

But it's not really only about money. I mean... If there would be a guy who has the skills to package the app for the AppStore, he already has an OS X system and an AppStore license as well. So it's more about just finding someone who is actually interested in the project.
friendlytherapist

Post by friendlytherapist »

hopefully you will get a mac guy soon. I have a mac but I dont think id be much of a help other than testing betas. I will keep an eye out for any old mac mini that i could send to you guys. surely someone here has a spare to donate to the devs. Youre probably just not asking loud enough ;)
Last edited by friendlytherapist on Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

I worked at a place where you could pick up old Mac Minis and PCs the devs did not want anymore, but the group leads and senior devs always took them all.
Having an OS X server for the site/infrastructure would be OK, but they are quite expensive. (45$+ for a Mac Mini with barely any ram, and a small amount of storage.) Looked around for used ones, and the affordable ones are just way too old as well. Owning a Mac is an expensive hobby for sure. :)

Btw making a build is quite easy. If you have free time / like to tinker around, you could just follow the wiki steps and you would be up and running in no time.
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorr ... OS-systems
(You could also use Virtualbox/Vmware to have a second OS X to keep your main OS clean, if you are that type of person.)