New Modem Kills Internet Connection When Torrenting

MAC OS X specific questions, problems.
Adelaide_Steve

New Modem Kills Internet Connection When Torrenting

Post by Adelaide_Steve »

Hi all, new here.  I have been using qBittorrent for a few years with my old internet setup with no problems including through a VPN with a kill switch.  I now have fast (for Australia) wireless internet at home with a new TP Link TL-WR841N router hooked up to 50mbps wireless.  The router came preconfigured and hooks into another box and dish on my roof.  It works fine for everything else I have tried on the internet. I can connect my VPN to it ok with a kill switch running and the web surfing work ok.

However, when I flash up qBittorrent and start up a download of a torrent I run into trouble.  It starts ok and runs for a minute or so building up speed. I have the overall download speed throttled back to not use much at present, only around 1.5mbps.  At about a minute in, the speed suddenly drops off and I have to reboot the modem to enable it to communicate with my computer again.  I have tried with wi-fi and ethernet cable, I have tried all sorts of settings and have gone through a few dozen suggestions on other sites. Nothing works for me. Is the problem to do with my VPN?  Is there some setting in the router put there by the ISP that snoops and kills torrents?  I am at my wits end on how to configure things to work again.

I am using an Apple iMac 27-inch running latest version of os High Sierra 10.13.  I am using the latest version of qBittorrent 4.1.0.  I am using IP Vanish ver 3.0.11 with OpenVPN UDP on port 443.

I would really appreciate any advice from anyone familiar with Macs, qBittorrent and VPN and hopefully with this modem.
Switeck

Re: New Modem Kills Internet Connection When Torrenting

Post by Switeck »

Use very few connections and turn off many of qBT's extra features and try again.
So 10-50 global connections, other max connections equal or less than that, disable DHT, LSD, uTP, and WEBUI. PEX is ok since it reuses existing peer+seed connections.
Adelaide_Steve

Post by Adelaide_Steve »

Thanks for the advice.  I discovered a setting in the router to prevent DOS attacks that was killing the connection when a threshold was hit, that seems to have been the culprit, as no other activity I had done since getting my new internet service was as intensive. In the end I reset the router to factory settings and I no longer have any issues.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

"Working as designed" sometimes is a surprise and inconvenient!

Also, many router have something called a hardware firewall that is usually far too much for their weak CPUs and minimal RAM.
jamiesizzle

Post by jamiesizzle »

Just a quick observation about forum tech support in general. There has been more than one time that something, an update a combination of software or hadware has caused me issues and I'm not alone I'm sure. The frist step is to google the question and start visiting all the forums. Mad respect for the awesome gurus at these forums, their knowledge and willingness to help is outstanding but....These problem solvers dive right into settings and proceedures that they are firmly familiar with from micromanaging their rigs without stopping to think that the average Joe asking for help didn't even have a clue about these setting before coming here and thus the problem very likely does not lie there. I could understand such suggestions if they were preceeded by something along the lines of "Oh, yeah the qBittorent update affected users that subscribe to particular VPNs and use Netgear routers so you need to manually go into....." But suggestions like "yeah duh your speeds are off dummy you didn't set them right. but but but I didn't set any speeds?" are so tech guy cliche and the worst part is that all of us have had to dig through thousands of similar replies some from bored tech support at the companies responsible for the issue itself and some from well meaning people just to find that gem of an answer from someone that actually understands the question. It's part of the process but once you've gained enough knowlege and experience from sifting through this kind of static and you want to reach out and offer help take a moment and consider the answer as much as you ask new people to consider the question. Happy community learning y'all.
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

To jamiesizzle...

You're more likely to get a cliche "set the speeds" response if you're not giving any info.

The original poster gave rather detailed information about the setup they have, including ISP, VPN type, computer, router, and more.
But still all I could give is a general hint, because I have none of those. :P

In the future include a couple blank lines in your wall-of-text. It's hard to read as-is.