Speed problems

MAC OS X specific questions, problems.
grahamat

Speed problems

Post by grahamat »

Hi all,
Newbie on the forum.
I'm using qbittorrent 4.1.5 on a mac and the speed is shockingly slow! Not only that, it seems to be taking up 90% of my bandwidth too.
The fastest speed I have witnessed so far has been 427Kb/s whilst my broadband speed is 3.8Mb/s
If qbit is operating it takes more than 20 seconds to open a tab on Safari for google.
Surely this can't be right?
Vuze regularly downloaded at up to 3Mb/s but I was advised that qbit was better. I need to ask the recommender, in what way is it better? It seems to me that it just really poor!
Anyone got any ideas?
I've followed all the recommendations for upload/download limits etc but none of it made any difference.
Thanks all
Switeck

Re: Speed problems

Post by Switeck »

Is the problem bits versis BYTES?
qBitTorrent measures speeds in KibiBytes/second. (1024 BYTES = 1 KibiBYTE)
Your internet speed is probably in megabits/second. Vuze may be using the same measurements.

427 KibiBytes/second = 437,248 BYTES/second = 3,497,984 bits/second = 3.497984 megabits/second not counting overheads, which can be ~10% of total for 3.8477824 megabits/second with overheads
That download speed would likely overload a 3.8 megabits/second connection.
If qBitTorrent is uploading as well, that may overload the connection even without hitting max download speed.

It's a good idea to put max download and upload speed limits on qBitTorrent when using it on a slow connection.
Also reduce the max number of connections, upload slots, and half open connections qBitTorrent is allowed to make -- this ironically may INCREASE download speeds.
grahamat

Post by grahamat »

Great stuff.
Thanks for your reply.
I appreciate what you have said but 9 hours to download a 2Gb file? Still seems mightily slow to me however qbit shows the speed lol.
I'll check the incoming connections as suggested and see if that makes any difference.
As I mentioned, Vuze was always quicker by a substantial margin!
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

2 GB file taking 9 hours is about 65 KibiBYTES/second.
Is there lots of seeds/peers and qBitTorrent isn't connecting to many...but Vuze is?
Did you set qBT's upload to only about 60-90% max upload bandwidth?
grahamat

Post by grahamat »

Hi,
Yes, I did all that. I'm getting variable seeders from 36 to 45 out of a possible 290.
Vuze always gives me a higher percentage of possible seeders.
Frankly, I just dont understand it.
I also can't understand why any web based software would want to change the way everyone is used to seeing speeds! Why try and invent the wheel?
I'm sure that 99% of people using bittorrent sites are used to seeing speeds in Kb/s or Mb/s. It just seems crazy to me why a company would want to screw around with a system that people know and understand.
Ah well, I'm never going to change the world or corporate's ideas of what is right or wrong haha
Switeck

Post by Switeck »

Vuze may be unfirewalled while qBitTorrent is at least partially firewalled. (a software firewall may be blocking some but not all incoming traffic to it.)

Does qBitTorrent show it's not firewalled when running it? (little green circle at bottom of its window)

Both Vuze and qBitTorrent WORK the same way -- they're both BitTorrent software that mostly follows the rules of the BitTorrent protocol.
Much of the problem is everything else has gotten more complex -- almost nobody back in 2004 was trying to run BitTorrent on network-attached storage or multiple internet connections at once or at >100 mbit/sec speeds or through a VPN or even through a router.

What's the results of a speed test of your internet connection? (I suspect the upload speed max is very low and qBT is choking it by trying to upload too fast.)