setting up qBittorent with PIA VPN

MAC OS X specific questions, problems.
jungleman84

setting up qBittorent with PIA VPN

Post by jungleman84 »

Hello,
I've been trying to set up qB with PIA VPN. I've been playing around with the settings a lot, based on different things I'm reading online, but I keep getting stuck. Problem is: qB client is not connectable/readable by incoming connections.

A few questions...
1. Is it necessary to open a port on my router's firewall? If I do this, does that mean that I can only use qB + VPN when I'm using my home router?
2a. What settings need to be enabled in my VPN?
2b. When I connect to my VPN, if it routes through a different port each time (in port forwarding) do I then have to go into qB's connections settings and manually enter this port number?
3. What connection/advanced settings need to be enabled in qB?
4. Is it necessary for me to set up a static IP address for my macbook?
5. What else might I be missing that is not allowing me to be connectable?

Thanks!

jungleman84
Switeck

Re: setting up qBittorent with PIA VPN

Post by Switeck »

1.No -- it's usually a bad idea to port forward the router (or use UPnP) when using a VPN. Incoming traffic could come through your regular IPv4 address on that forwarded port on your router when the VPN is down.
2a. PIA VPN should have a website about how to do port forwarding with their service.
2b. If PIA VPN routes through a different port each time, then you will have to manually enter that port in qBitTorrent's connection settings as the incoming listening port. (Make sure UPnP is NOT checked there!)
3. Possibly binding to a particular "Network Interface" or "Optional IP address to bind to" (the one that PIA VPN uses) in qBitTorrent's advanced settings.
4. No static LAN or internet IPv4 should be needed for PIA VPN use.
5. See 2a for details -- it really depends on what PIA VPNs allow.
jungleman84

Re: setting up qBittorent with PIA VPN

Post by jungleman84 »

Thanks! I played with the Network Interface preference setting and I think that did the trick!