Paused Torrents Un-Pause Upon Restart

MAC OS X specific questions, problems.
jonkeys

Paused Torrents Un-Pause Upon Restart

Post by jonkeys » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:25 pm

Hi folks,

I think this fits into the "Is the 'pause' button actually a 'stop' button" discussion, as I'll pause the majority of my torrents to manually manage what I'm downloading at any given time, but when I restart qBittorent, some paused torrents un-pause and begin to download, which mean I have to annoyingly pause them again.

How can I keep torrents permanently paused, as in stopped?

Many thanks

ThyTorrenter

Re: Paused Torrents Un-Pause Upon Restart

Post by ThyTorrenter » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:25 am

I'm on Windows, but you can't do that. On Github, Stop requests are being denied because "qBittorrent's 'pause' is like uTorrent's stop". This is false, because on uTorrent stopped torrents are NOT resumed with the Resume All function. Only Paused ones are being resumed.

Obviously, this has NOTHING to do with peer connections and the like.

So, the Resume All function in qBittorrent is useless or crippled for me (and others, like you), because I have several stopped/paused torrents on the list I want to keep, but not resume with the Resume All function.

It's perfectly fine if you don't want to implement a Stop function, but why keep telling us it's exactly the same as uTorrent? It is not.

FranciscoPombal

Re: Paused Torrents Un-Pause Upon Restart

Post by FranciscoPombal » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:07 am

OP, you are experiencing a bug. There is probably something wrong with the fastresumes of the paused (aka stopped) torrents that keep resuming when you restart the client. This shouldn't happen; paused (aka stopped) torrents should stay paused until the user resumes (aka restarts) them explicitly. That said, I never observed your issue - all the torrents that I pause (aka stop) stay paused (aka stopped) after a restart.
ThyTorrenter wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:25 am
I'm on Windows, but you can't do that. On Github, Stop requests are being denied because "qBittorrent's 'pause' is like uTorrent's stop". This is false, because on uTorrent stopped torrents are NOT resumed with the Resume All function. Only Paused ones are being resumed.

Obviously, this has NOTHING to do with peer connections and the like.

So, the Resume All function in qBittorrent is useless or crippled for me (and others, like you), because I have several stopped/paused torrents on the list I want to keep, but not resume with the Resume All function.

It's perfectly fine if you don't want to implement a Stop function, but why keep telling us it's exactly the same as uTorrent? It is not.
This post is offtopic, as it has nothing to do with the bug that OP is experiencing.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Go read the source code, if you must, because you are just wrong. This all comes from libtorrent.

In qBittorrent, "Pause", aka "stop", stops all data transfer and tears down all peer connections associated with the torrent. You can even verify this with Wireshark. This is functionally equivalent to uTorrent's stop button.

The fact that uTorrent's "resume all" function does not "resume" torrents that are "stopped" comes from the fact that it distinguishes "stop" from "paused", and thus the opposites of those operations are "restart" and "resume", respectively - so it makes sense that "resume" does not act on stopped torrents, only on paused ones. uTorrent's "resume all" button is NOT functionally equivalent to qBittorrent's "resume all" button, because qBittorrent does not make the disctinction between pause and stopped. Not sure why you would think that "qBit's pause being functionally equivalent to uTorrent's stop" would imply "qBit's resume all being functionally equivalent to utorrent's resume all", given the differences in how they handle these states and the transitions between them.

uTorrent's "pause" stops all data transfer, but doesn't tear down the peer connection. qBittorrent does not implement this deliberately, for the reasons explained in the github comments that you have most likely read already.

If the torrents that you want to keep seeding/downloading are already active, why do you click "resume all"? If you close the client with them resumed, they will resume automatically when you restart the client. If you want to keep torrents around that you don't want to be active, just keep them paused (aka stopped). IMO it seems you just misunderstood the functionality and its intended use, and are are using it wrong due to attempting to force uTorrent's broken workflow when using qBittorrent.