Tracker announce interval

If you run qBittorrent in / with Docker.
airbit

Tracker announce interval

Post by airbit »

Hey,

I just started using Qbittorrent and just joined the forum today. I am coming from nearly 10 years of transmission usage but finally had to leave it behind as it has no-check/skip verification option. Been very impressed with qbit so far.

When I upload a torrent to a tracker in some cases it can take a few minutes for the torrent to register so I get the tracker response "Unregistered torrent"

Now on transmission when i get an error response the following happens.
1 - Announces to the tracker if gets an error waits 1 minute to announce again to tracker.
2 - Announces to the tracker again and if it gives the same or another error transmission then waits 5 mins.
3 - Announces to the tracker again and if it gives the same or another error transmission then waits 30 mins.
4 - Announces to the tracker again and if it gives the same or another error transmission then waits 30 mins.
5 - And so on......

I can not see the intervals in the qbittorrent webUI so am curious is the behaviour similar to transmission or does it differ. If it differs what exactly happens.

Would appreciate any input.

Currently using qBittorrent v4.3.2 Web UI (64-bit) in a docker container from image ghcr.io/linuxserver/qbittorrent
airbit

Re: Tracker announce interval

Post by airbit »

So it looks like from my tests that if qBittorrent gets a not registered torrent response from a tracker it waits an hour before announcing to that tracker again.

Is it possible to change this or get more info about what announce internals qbittorrent uses for each response from the trackers or is it always 1 hour.

P.S not sure why this was moved to the Docker section as this is something that will affect all versions not just docker which is why i posted in the generic section
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Docker versions of qBittorrent are not official, and often behave differently compared to a normal installation. Thus, the Docker category was created.
The announcement thing is common and I've seen this behavior in other clients too. You could just simply stop and start the affected torrents by hand, and they'd re-announce sooner. The timer is set to such a "long time" because otherwise qBittorrent users would hammer trackers. And that's something the site owners don't really like.

So.
Two options.
One, do it by hand: you stop & start by hand after waiting a few minutes.
Two, if you wish to do this hands-free: you gracefully "kill" (stop) qBittorrent and then start it again.

Just make sure not to hammer trackers. Private sites track that and can ban you if you are not careful.
airbit

Post by airbit »

Having to monitor every torrent i upload to make sure it registered is a bit of a nightmare.

I created a FR for it.
https://github.com/qbittorrent/qBittorrent/issues/14530

Thanks for the help
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Meanwhile, you could use the qBittorrent web API (via Python maybe) to do what you want. It would work.
airbit

Post by airbit »

thats what i am currently doing.

it works fine but is not ideal.