qBittorrent is under a new maintainer.

For the generic offtopic chit-chat
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

qBittorrent is under a new maintainer.

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

Hello to all the community,

From some time yesterday Christophe Dumez transferred the project maintenance over to me. He is really busy with Real Life and cannot review patches and actively support further development in a timely fashion. I am sure you all have noticed the slowdown for the recent months in releases and patch merging. He however didn't quit entirely. He will still review patches when he can, contribute code, offer guidance if needed etc. But not in an active matter. He will also continue to provide OSX builds, unless someone else wants to do it.

As the new maintainer I can do whatever I want, but that doesn't mean that I will. Now patches will be reviewed/merged a lot faster. Releases will happen frequently and maybe every 2 weeks(depending on development traffic). Also I get to decide for features to be implemented and which maybe were discussed here by other forum members. Like new UI icons.

To all developers out there: I will be happy to merge your fixes/patches/features/etc. Just hop over to github and send me pull requests.
To all other knowledgeable qbittorrent people: You are welcome to enrich the wiki, help triage bugs in the bug tracker and help other users in the forums.
To the rest of the community: qBittorrent is alive and kicking. qBittorrent is awesome. Spread the word and come join us in the forum.
Last edited by sledgehammer_999 on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
christophe.dumez

Re: qBittorrent is under a new maintainer.

Post by christophe.dumez »

I would suggest to announce this on the qbittorrent-devel and qbittorrent-translations mailing lists as well
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Which bug?
ironcross

Post by ironcross »

Very good, sledgehammer_999, and congratulations!
Thanks to christophe.dumez for the wise decision.
100%

Post by 100% »

As much as I am sad Chris is not actively maintaining qBt any more, I am also happy sledge is taking over.

After all, this is the most important:

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]
qBittorrent is alive and kicking. qBittorrent is awesome.[/quote]

Congrats sledge, I know you'll be successful!
maruseru

Post by maruseru »

hi, congrats for your new position, please improve label options and rss filtering pls pls pls!!! everything else works great.
Onemoar

Post by Onemoar »

awesome
loki

Post by loki »

I hope it was just that he was too busy with real life, and not that he got bored with it or gave up. Though by stating he still, at least plans to, continue OSX port it seems he just could no longer devote the much needed time to the project as whole.

Which also I suppose is good that someone else is willing to take over development and it's not just sitting incomplete, outdated, or dead.

Sledgehammer, are you still offering 32-bit windows builds and dayman the 64-bit builds? And, where does this leave the linux builds? I assume that at least some of these like ubuntu and debian are automatically built and, in most cases not built by the maintainer?
nayanasri

Post by nayanasri »

nice .......
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

[quote="loki"]
I hope it was just that he was too busy with real life, and not that he got bored with it or gave up. Though by stating he still, at least plans to, continue OSX port it seems he just could no longer devote the much needed time to the project as whole.

Which also I suppose is good that someone else is willing to take over development and it's not just sitting incomplete, outdated, or dead.

Sledgehammer, are you still offering 32-bit windows builds and dayman the 64-bit builds? And, where does this leave the linux builds? I assume that at least some of these like ubuntu and debian are automatically built and, in most cases not built by the maintainer?
[/quote]

No he didn't give up.
For the time being the official windows installer will be 32bit only. Dayman can continue to deliver unofficial builds. In the long run we may change this, but now we need to get some features into qbittorrent itself and of course fix bugs.
As far as I know, there isn't anyone dedicated to linux packages. The new versions get packaged by each distro's packagers and most of them are kept up to date. Even Debian released 3 days ago(?) 3.0.9 in experimental.
Anyhow, we don't host distro specific packages because we don't have anyone doing builds independently. Atm we don't need someone. But if someone wants to make those anyway, please contact me.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

[quote="ironcross"]
Very good, sledgehammer_999, and congratulations!
Thanks to christophe.dumez for the wise decision.
[/quote]

Can't agree more, congratulations sledge :). The final sentence already says enough; qBittorrent is alive and kicking. qBittorrent is awesome. Spread the word and come join us in the forum.!
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

If anyone is wondering, why the lack of changes even I became maintainer. Be patient. I have an important job to prepare for Friday morning(utc+2). Expect development to pick up during the weekend and maybe as early as Friday midday.

I'll mostly be away from the forums the next 2 days.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Well, Real Life is there for everyone. No matter how much you or anyone loves a project, RL is always there.
So yeah, I don't think people expect you to merge/review/work 24-7. No worries.

Good luck with that job! :D

(Thanks for the update, though.)
Last edited by Peter on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
100%

Post by 100% »

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]
If anyone is wondering, why the lack of changes even I became maintainer. Be patient. I have an important job to prepare for Friday morning(utc+2). Expect development to pick up during the weekend and maybe as early as Friday midday.

I'll mostly be away from the forums the next 2 days.[/quote]

Don't worry about it, we understand. Take your time mate, we are grateful for all the hard work.
TurboProp

Post by TurboProp »

Congratulations sledgehammer_999, best of luck to you. I also think this is very good news.

What shall we do with the previous ppa(~hydr0g3n), should we purge it? Are you going to set up a new one?