Popularity of qbittorrent

For the generic offtopic chit-chat
catweazle

Re: Popularity of qbittorrent

Post by catweazle »

I will have a look at libtorent pages, maybe its worth to make a request.
Any chance of an option to store dat files in a different directory ?
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

[quote="catweazle"]
2 reasons why I don't use it :
-Not portable, I simply hate programs that store data in "my doc blah blah", or registry.
Please let user choose...[/quote]

That is the accepted dev guidelines. apps should save conf to local settings/application data or the registry.
Unless an app is built specifically to be portable.

[quote="catweazle"]
-The creation of these "unwanted" folders, why not store it in 1 dat file like Tixati or uTorrent ?
If I am correct its caused by libtorrent ? A real shame.
[/quote]

Planned for removal in the 3.2.x series. See also poll: http://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php/topic,2294.0.html
PS: It isn't caused by libtorrent.
Last edited by sledgehammer_999 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Thanks for clarifing sledge.
catweazle

Post by catweazle »

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]
That is the accepted dev guidelines. apps should save conf to local settings/application data or the registry.
Unless an app is built specifically to be portable.
[/quote]

Before XP it was common to have settings stored in the same dir as your program was located iirc...
And many programs still have that option.
If possible I try to keep Windows partition small as possible, store anything on a different partition.
(including page file)
This is very help full to keep the partition small and lean, also safer in case something goes wrong that causes data corruption in your file system.
Most of the time I only have to worry about Windows while data and programs are safe.

Are these guidelines "dictated" by Windows or QT ?
Would it be against these guidelines to add an option so user can choose for a different data dir ?

[quote="sledgehammer_999"]
Planned for removal in the 3.2.x series. See also poll: http://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php/topic,2294.0.html
PS: It isn't caused by libtorrent.
[/quote]

That's great, looking forward to test drive that version.
Will the data be stored in 1 dat file like utorrent ?
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Microsoft.
Go to ask this because I really don't understand.

Why does it make a difference??
To the disc filing system a folder is basically only a file with a attribute set in the header, so whether it is called or displayed as a 'folder' or a 'file' is purely cosmetic.

On Linux and Mac the 'unwanted' piece(s) holding location is hidden, because it is .unwanted, as the '.'  at the start "hides" the file from humans unless "hidden files" have been specifically enabled to be displayed. The 'concern' over what the file should be called seems trivial in the light of things that are really worth spending development time on
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

[quote="catweazle"]
Would it be against these guidelines to add an option so user can choose for a different data dir ?[/quote]

It is a de facto standard across all platforms. If an app isn't designed specifically for being portable, then you have to use each OS's saving system/location even if it isn't mandatory.
Sure I could make qbt save the confs anywhere you like or even make it portable. But it doesn't make sense to do it. Unless of course I want to distribute a portable version too.
Good app citizenry is what we aim.

[quote="catweazle"]
That's great, looking forward to test drive that version.
[/quote]

Nope. They will get created along the other files. If you want to differentiate them you'll have to enable the option "append .!qB extension to incomplete files".
The libtorrent has mentioned that he wants to add .dat functionality ie save incomplete pieces into a single file. But don't hold your breath. I don't see it being implemented any time soon.