Popularity of qbittorrent

For the generic offtopic chit-chat
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

Popularity of qbittorrent

Post by sledgehammer_999 »

For the past days I have been observing if and how many peers use qBittorrent. When downloading anime I always see 3-4 users. Sometimes I even download from them. And when one of them drops, usually another one appears(different ips). This happens to a lesser degree with new releases of popular series, maybe 2-3 peers.

But today I was pleasantly surprised. I started downloading a really new anime torrent with only 1 seeder but ~800 leechers. I saw at least 16 qbittorrent 3.0.11 users and ~4 qbittorrent 3.0.9 users (possibly mac or debian). I was really happy that qbittorrent users are early adopters of anime :p

It goes without saying that a huge chunk of the peers are ?torrent users.

PS: Max connections per torrent: 300

What are your observations?
Last edited by sledgehammer_999 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ironcross

Re: Popularity of qbittorrent

Post by ironcross »

I'm seeing now 3 users with qBittorrent 3.0.9 and 3.0.11.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

I see 3.0.10 and 3.0.11 pretty often, even 2.9.7 or lower too sometimes. Im not always looking to the peers that much when im downloading or uploading :P but when I do I see atleast 1-2 or more using qBittorrent. Btw why that high connections per torrent?. Although I must add that when I was using BitSpirit (yes bad client I know lol) few years ago mine was set at 360 connections per torrent, might be high but it was working good. Now with qBittorrent only 150 per torrent instead 100 default value.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

To give this thread a second life.. (my last post from August..;D)

Just a random encounter what I just took from the peerlist:

I wonder why some users still stay with v3.1.5 or even v3.1.8, but also an up to date user using the alpha.
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

v3.1.5 has a broken update notifier, so if they don't check the site they'll think that it is still the newest...
catwoman68

Post by catwoman68 »

Speaking as a Linux user (Kubuntu), the most recent version in the Ubuntu repositories is 3.18-2, with only one unofficial working ppa, the official ppa has not had an update that hasn't failed to build for several months (the last failed build being 8 hours ago).
sledgehammer_999
Administrator
Administrator

I am going to switch ppas when I release v3.2.0 (3.1.10 will be the last). I don't have access to the current one and Chris Dumez is too busy to fix it.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

8)
zeomal

Post by zeomal »

Vuze released Leap, a lightweight BitTorrent client sometime earlier. As stated on TorrentFreak,
Vuze Leap is a dummy-proof application with a simple interface, which uses minimal resources.
Maybe nobody told Vuze about qBittorrent ;D.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Given their tree frog motif ... Wouldn't Vuse Hop be a more fitting name? :)
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

I installed and ran it but uninstalled it right away; Its too minimal.
littletree76

Post by littletree76 »

Perhaps another way to improve popularity of qbittorrent is to package and release it in Unix package management systems such as MacPorts and Homebrew for Mac platform and similar systems for Linux platforms. These operating systems are all Unix clones anyway.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

3.1.8 and 3.1.9 are available in some packages, use apt-file Ubuntu family or yum whatprovides for RedHat/Centos family

There is also in a PPA from Evgeny Lensky (surfensk) at https://launchpad.net/~surfernsk/+archi ... t-software

and a ppa from Christope Dumez (hydr0g3n) at https://launchpad.net/~hydr0g3n
catweazle

Post by catweazle »

2 reasons why I don't use it :
-Not portable, I simply hate programs that store data in "my doc blah blah", or registry.
Please let user choose...
-The creation of these "unwanted" folders, why not store it in 1 dat file like Tixati or uTorrent ?
If I am correct its caused by libtorrent ? A real shame.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Thats why everyone has the choice to decide what to use. You happy, we happy, no problems. It is the way that qBittorrent works, or should I say libtorrent in most cases. You can always go to the libtorrent page and report there if you didn't yet (or someone else maybe). Also you could try unofficial portable releases but those are not officially supported here.
Last edited by Nemo on Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.