To all qBitTorrent users and potential users. ....

For the generic offtopic chit-chat
ciaobaby

To all qBitTorrent users and potential users. ....

Post by ciaobaby »

qBitTorrent was, has, and is, being developed as a "Small footprint" BitTorrent client that uses minimum resources on your machine. This means that it is NOT going to have lots and lots of "features" and shiny "widgets" that only one or two users think are essential to their needs. Let's be honest here, you are probably using, or thinking of using qBT because you are hacked off with the adverts in uTorrent,  had enough of BitTorrent 6+ crashing, fed up with Vuse or Transmission dragging your machine down to a crawl while showing you an advert for "How to speed up your computer". So please, please, PLEASE stop asking for silly "features" that only YOU think are essential.

qBT does NOT need to be:

Your anti-virus application.
Your computer firewall.
Your anti-spyware protection.
Your media player,
Your file manager.
Your diary of all the media you have already watched.
Your TV Schedule.
Your digital music librarian.

And it does not need a  built-in spreadsheet tool so you can analyse your statistics using a Pivot Table

ALL that it ever needs to do, is download the data you want from other peers and store it safely on your hard drive and/or deliver data that you have to other peers that are  looking for.
That's IT!

There are other applications around that do everything else much better than bolting extra resource hogging "features" on to qBT that will be mediocre at best.
If you want "more shiny buttons on the toolbar" USE A CLIENT THAT HAS THEM ALREADY, just like one of those that is already bloated with pointless "features" that you are trying to get away from!
littletree76

Re: To all qBitTorrent users and potential users. ....

Post by littletree76 »

Well said, remember the very basic principle of Unix operating system: create many simple/efficient/useful/compatible programs/utilities so that they can work together easily in the operating system. Users are free to create various combinations out of these basic building blocks to suit their purposes. This is a better approach that trying to pile as much features as possible on to a already overloaded system (if you see a window icon on your display you get what I mean). Another good analogy is comparison between reduced instruction set and complex instruction set (finally RISC reigns supreme in processor design).

I always carry a iPhone for voice/message communication and a iPad for Internet browsing and email reading instead of trying to achieve all with a phablet (always too big as a phone and too small as a tablet).
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

[quote="littletree76"]
I always carry a iPhone for voice/message communication and a iPad for Internet browsing and email reading instead of trying to achieve all with a phablet (always too big as a phone and too small as a tablet).

[/quote]

B-b-but I like my phablet. ;_;
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Well said ciao, thats exactly what im thinking about qBittorrent. Use the programs for what they are made for instead multi tasking various other things causing bloat on the long run.