Failed hard drive

For the generic offtopic chit-chat
skc1959

Failed hard drive

Post by skc1959 »

Hi,

This is not a question about qBittorent but a general enquiry, hope this is acceptable.

Does anyone know of a good reliable company that could try and recover data from a failed WD 4tb external hard drive. I have had three companies look at it and they all initially said that they could recover the data but get the impression that once they saw that it was mainly downloaded data (mailnly MP3 files) they all seem to back away. The drive in question was just knocked over, it was not dropped or anything more serious.

Many thanks in advance, if this posting breaks any qBittorrent forum rules please accept my apologies and delete it.

skc1959

Moved from Suggestions to Cafe Lounge, Nemo.
Last edited by skc1959 on Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loki

Re: Failed hard drive

Post by loki »

I think they seeing that it's just mp3's sees it as trivial data, and you having to pay good money to recover trivial data doesn't make sense. Then there is probably legal reasoning behind it too. But if it is just downloaded mp3's why wouldn't you "just" redownload them rather than paying (usually exorbitantly high) amounts of money to recover.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Hell! You could probably buy ALL the CDs for less than what the recovery costs would be.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Recovery in this country is around 1500 USD + 800 USD for initial test/check. This is a lower limit, it's usually higher than this.
Just use BackBlaze or Crashplan next time.

Much cheaper than data recovery.