Windows Shell discussion.

For the generic offtopic chit-chat
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Windows Shell discussion.

Post by Nemo »

There is a discussion going on about Windows shell and to stop the clutter of that topic I've decided to open this topic for you guys so you can discuss it here freely instead over there.

The following were said by name. For more see the original topic: http://qbforums.shiki.hu/index.php/topic,2815.0.html

ciaobaby to askusbloodfist:
So not a 'shell' at all but the GUI (Graphical User Interface).

A 'shell' in computing terms is the command line interface in all Unix variants. This is a world where everyone has to use the correct terminology or be explicit in what they are referring to if communication errors are to be avoided
Obviously I know what the Windows 'shell' is is and THAT is nothing to do with qBitTorrent either

"Shell" commands in windows are  ones that use the underlying functions of the operating system and in that respect and basically are the same as Unix/Linux 'shell' commands.

When I answer a question I want to answer the one the the poster actually requires the answer to, NOT one that I have guessed at what they actually mean, so when I ask for clarification of the request I am going to do so in a way that makes the request as unambiguous as possible.
askusbloodfist to ciaobaby:
ciaobaby As a moderator one would think you would have a basis intrest in helping out on a forum not to argue with people.. But have you have heard of a windows shell? That is something all programs in windows can use and so does even Qbitorrent. Programs like Microsoft Word, Explorer, Chrome , Frankly almost everything Borrows code from windows thats already there. And that is called a Windows shell. Now Can you franky stop posting in this thread sins you not helping nor trying to help anyone but yourself to feel better.

Here is one of many links you can read about what im talking about

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_shell
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb773177(v=vs.85).aspx
bjd223 to ciaobaby:
He is obviously not a native English speaker, maybe we should cut him some slack?

Anyway, your definition is not correct either as it applies to Windows.

The graphical shell in Windows comprises the entire GUI, as well as any modal windows, dialog boxes, etc.
The command shell in Windows was MS-DOS (up to Windows ME), starting with Windows NT it was replaced with the cmd / command prompt which is actually an emulated version of MS-DOS.

In UNIX the CLI shell happens to be named "Unix Shell" but by definition a shell is not CLI only
For further discussion of this subject continue here, thanks.
Last edited by Nemo on Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dayman

Re: Windows Shell discussion.

Post by Dayman »

I guess whatever is under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell is shell on Windows xD
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

He is obviously not a native English speaker,
Exactly, and therefore even more important that the appropriate names are used so the question is unambiguous
Anyway, your definition is not correct either as it applies to Windows.
Sure, it was not intended as an academic treatise on W.I.M.P. environments as a whole, just as an anecdotal example of why I, (that's ME, regardless of what anyone else understood 'shell' to mean) was unaware as to what the OP meant by 'shell'. Given that shell is an ambiguous term that did not relate to any actual operation of qBitTorrent with respect to networked drives.

Had the question been about Molluscs or Crustaceans there would have been no need whatsoever to request clarification of 'shell'
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

My two cents only, but I think the topic should have been locked after a simple reply that the problem is with his OS or the network drive itself.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

I was (we were, maybe) thinking of it, but I wanted to keep the original topic instead locking it right away. Sledge and Dayman were still talking with him so that wouldn't be nice to them either, if it was needed they had locked it too. So I've splitted the oftopic discussion to here, the always crowded cafe launge section :D.