To all you delicate souls, ... ...

For the generic offtopic chit-chat
ciaobaby

To all you delicate souls, ... ...

Post by ciaobaby »

That think I should somehow be "nice" to you. ...

You are not my 'friend(s)',
I am not your 'friend'
I do not know you,
You do not know me,
NOTHING that I say or write is somehow "personal"

You have absolutely NO impact on my day to day life
I have absolutely NO impact on your day to day life

If I fell under a bus tomorrow it would make ABSOLUTELY NO difference to any of you. Likewise if any of you fell under a bus it would make ABSOLUTELY ZERO difference to me.

And to be perfectly frank with all of you, if some anonymous person whom you are NEVER going to meet in real life can "upset" you, you really need to take stock of your life and get a better grip on reality.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: To all you delicate souls, ... ...

Post by Nemo »

People that feel that they are being attacked somehow makes me wonder too sometimes. There is no rule that everyone needs to be like you, everyone is different and so is ciao. Do I agree how you are sometimes ciao? To be honest no, but then again I see nothing bad at all. Thats simply how you are which is perfectly fine with me. If I could post everything that any (especially new) users had said to me since I registered here years ago by a reply or even by pm I can get pages full of crapload of bad words and much more.

Do I need to change in order to be accepted by anonymous user who registers here? Or do they need to change in order to be accepted? Nobody needs to change. Its a free forum where everyone can say whatever they want, outside a few rules of course (bad words/spam/racism and so on). Don't like the answers or his ''attitude''? Well thats possible, I sometimes have that too with users, you can always ignore or wait till someone else replies. No need to get agro or anything like that.

New users getting scared to open a new topic or ask something? Thats not true either. Daily new topics are being opened and most of them (99%) are handled correctly, thats our main goal and always has been. Everyone is welcome. If there is something you are free to pm me and I would glad to help.

And to finish it off; Im the main one who made him a Global Moderator for a reason after everyone agreed on our moderation team. I don't need any advices from anyone nor nobody needs to judge me on my decisions. ''Whoever made him a mod must think this/or do that..'' Sorry, im doing or thinking nothing. Even if he wasn't a mod (some are only thinking of that) he can still say whatever he wants so that doesn't change anything at the end.

Its really stupid that we are discussing this actually :P..
Last edited by Nemo on Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muzak

Post by Muzak »

The problem with text based conversations is that the majority of the emotional content is assigned by the reader, not the sender.  It's easy to read a post or a text message, not understand, or feel the response isn't answering the question, get frustrated and then decide "I'm being attached" or "the poster is just rude" when that may not be the case.  For me as a professional that has to deal with various people outside our business it means I have to take extra time to re-read messages several times before sending, be aware of how the receiver may re-interpret the response and take extreme effort to be clear and use words that don't carry a lot of emotional content.  Same thing when receiving a business communication, take the extra time to keep (my) emotions out of the content.

That being said, outside of work I'm likely to not take the same level of self-review when posting or reading.  This means I may give or take offense when involved in a communication.  It shouldn't be up to others to decide how any of us communicate in an informal setting, such as the forums here.  We all need to "grow a thick skin" and realize that what a poster thinks is a basic statement of fact is really just a statement of fact and not some rude brushoff. 

It's a difficult line to walk on the moderator side, been there, done that too many times, but the real issue is the rest of us learning to remove that self-assigned emotional quotient.  Not easy, but necessary.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Okay, due to the the observation that some of you may think my lack of "Git skills" is down to sheer bloody mindedness, let me assure you it is not, and because of that I have decided to 'share' some personal details.

To see why I appear unable or unwilling to get to grips with Git (although it maybe GitHub that is the problem) you may need to watch The Possibilities Are Endless to really understand, as I have the same afflictions , though not quite as severe, as Edwyn Collins does, as I too, six years ago, had a stroke at an age that was twenty five or thirty years BEFORE the age that one would normally associate with the risk or occurrence of such issues. The things that I lost overnight were left side peripheral vision, some problems distinguishing between low contrast colours (orange on white is truly invisible) the mental "road maps" of places I worked in or visited and most bizarrely, my knowledge of ASP vBScript and  MS VB 6 simply disappeared.
So I am labouring with the issue that it seems as if my brain has to activate previously dormant neural connections in order to assimilate and store what is ostensibly 'brand new' information.
Now PLEASE, do not think that in telling you this because I am trying to illicit sympathy or 'understanding'  because as it says under my 'avatar' "No quarter asked, no quarter given" ('Google' it if you don't 'get it') is how I do live my life.  This is merely an explanation of why I will, for the time being at least, will simply dump code that I have written for my own purposes and if subsequently, others have suggested it may be useful, as a zip of the affected/modified source and let you do what you will with it.

Sledge' hit the nail on the head in a Git comment where he said that "am not one of the developers", perfectly true, ... I do what suits me not necessarily anyone else, but IF it does turn out to be useful, hey it's a winner all round.

Thank You ... ... Now sod off and do something useful :)
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

This thread has been cleaned.
Last edited by Nemo on Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

[quote="Nemo"]
This thread has been cleaned.
[/quote]

Did I miss anything entertaining??
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

No, not really mate (see your pm). Last 2 posts were irrelevant and had nothing to do with this topic in general so I deleted them :).
sign

Post by sign »

I saw what you did there :D
Who doesn't like topics like this one. But sometimes we forgot that other people around us, just doesn't have the luck that we have with our own personality...
But I guess that this is the world - full of all kind of people :)
We can ignore them or we can try to communicate with them and the result is always unpredictable.

So at the end of the day, this is just matter of perspective (point of view). A lot of people don't like to help other people in any sense. But for other people - it's interesting too observe the logic of others (Why the other person do or say that, why he react like that, etc.)
Anyway - this post became too philosophical, but all I want to say is - thank you :|
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Bump.

I think that was needed.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Hi All,

Update:

After several months of testing I have decided to part company with both qBittorrent and KTorrent, and I have been running KTorrent much longer than qBittorrent, but unfortunately both have fallen prey to this ridiculous frenetic rate of "progress" &  'improvements' to nobody knows where, and because of this 'progress' and the woeful lack of 'testing' before 'features' are added means that neither of the clients are stable or particularly useful any more.

So to carry on posting on a forum for a client that I am not using and probably will not use again, would be somewhat disingenuous of me therefore I probably will not be visiting the forum in the foreseeable future. (WOW! I can hear the sighs of relief already :) )

But if anyone has scripting questions or wants a real debate about anything at all, I can be found at webmaster-talk.eu where I post as myself.

And finally, to borrow from George Carlin and Dave Allen .... ... may your Joe Pesci go with you.