AMD
21%
Intel
79%

Total votes: 14

stihia

The classic one: AMD or Intel?

Post by stihia »

Just a question though, nothing to flame/bash around, I hope.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The classic one: AMD or Intel?

Post by Nemo »

For processors definitly Intel. Get an i5 and you're done if you can effort it. Otherwise get an AMD but also get better cooler and replace the original cooler and save yourself the headache.

For graphic cards I think that AMD gives more worth the money than Nvidia. Look how strong the R9 290 still goes against the new Maxwell gpus from Nvidia but consumes more power. On the other hand Nvidia consumes less power, is more silent and lower temperatures overall. Both have their good and bad sides really. I think I will buy a R9 390 8GB myself soon instead the GTX 980 4GB.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Just wanted to upgrade my NAS.
Intel wins on low, mid, high end. There is zero reason to pick AMD nowadays.
Which is a bit sad, since they were kings back in the Athlon/Phenom era.

Shame, really.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

I hope that the new Zen CPU's from AMD brings some competition to Intel next year. Im against one company ruling the whole sector (in this case Intel with its CPU's), competition is needed so everyone can benefit at normal prices.
stihia

Post by stihia »

[quote="Nemo"]
I hope that the new Zen CPU's from AMD brings some competition to Intel next year. Im against one company ruling the whole sector (in this case Intel with its CPU's), competition is needed so everyone can benefit at normal prices.
[/quote]

Absolutely right, Nemo. We all see what happened in the HDD market since 2011 or so...
I am on AMD since 2000 and keeping on. For the last 10 yrs... don't ask me why.    :P
Should be this maybe the sign of an AMD revival?
Attachments
AMD vs Intel.png
dragons4life

Post by dragons4life »

Out of everything I bought on my build, my i5 was the best thing I bought.

Going to wait until the entire DX12 thing is confirm or something before buying an R9 390, because even tough I have enough PSU for the amount of extra watts it takes compare to the Nvidia, it still scares me, also the fact that they run pretty hot and I only have one fan on my case, with poor cable management.
lgallard

Post by lgallard »

# lscpu
Architecture:          x86_64
CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                8
On-line CPU(s) list:  0-7
Thread(s) per core:    1
Core(s) per socket:    4
Socket(s):            2
NUMA node(s):          1
Vendor ID:            GenuineIntel
CPU family:            6
Model:                23
Stepping:              6
CPU MHz:              1998.000
BogoMIPS:              5000.41
Virtualization:        VT-x
L1d cache:            32K
L1i cache:            32K
L2 cache:              6144K
NUMA node0 CPU(s):    0-7
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

[quote="dragons4life"]
Going to wait until the entire DX12 thing is confirm or something before buying an R9 390, because even tough I have enough PSU for the amount of extra watts it takes compare to the Nvidia, it still scares me, also the fact that they run pretty hot and I only have one fan on my case, with poor cable management.
[/quote]

Yes, the Directx 12 hype is still going on where AMD gpus perform better compared to Nvidia gpus (probably thanks to the Mantle thing). I must say that the R9 390 doesn't get that hot like the R9 290 does cause of the refreshments/improvments. I got a 750watt Gold PSU from EVGA which should be enough.

R9 Nano has been released too with 4GB HBM memory on it recently. Its basically like Fury X but without the water cooling fan and clocked lower.

I might go with the R9 390 from MSI with its nice 8GB memory but im still waiting till some things are confirmed.