Win10

For the generic offtopic chit-chat
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Win10

Post by Nemo »

Also running the RC of qB 3.3.0 is just delicious.  ::)
Yes, agree :). Its great to see all the latest releases like Qt 5.5.1/libtorrent 1.0.7/boost 1.59 finally build all together. This weekend gets the official stable release (if all goes as planned, im sure it will).
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

So meanwhile a big update to Windows 10 has been released carrying a new build number 10586 (and im yet to install and test it).
Do a disk image with Acronis or Clonezilla or something.
It broke more than half our company applications.

Since then we moved back to 7 and 8.1 respectively.
Do not get me wrong, I am not against progression and things like that.
But the only branch of Windows 10 that SHOULD exist, is the Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB branch.
But that's not the case.

The normal one that you get with the simple Windows 10 and Pro editions, it's like having Gentoo current, Fedora rawhide, openSUSE factory, and so on.

And of course you cannot just buy that Enterprise license / use the LTSB branch.

ps.: LTSB is like how 7 and 8.1 were.
dragons4life

Post by dragons4life »

[quote="brot0"]
Also running the RC of qB 3.3.0 is just delicious.  ::)
[/quote]
kinda wish I was able to download the 3.3.0 version
bloodybunny

Post by bloodybunny »

Just a heads up whit build 10586 if you use Network Sharing

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharin ... pdate.html

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharin ... issue.html

I can't see my own pc on network on the new build. As a work around you need to revert to preview build.

Edit: Seems to be fixed on my end. At list my pc appears on network now.
Last edited by bloodybunny on Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Im thinking to update my Windows 7 to Windows 10, but are there still issues with qBittorrent running on it? If some Windows 10 users can confirm there isn't I will give it a try soon.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

qBittorrent worked for me on Win10.
(It's literally a Windows 8.1 with the telemetry on top.)

But Telemetry issue is still there.
Rushed, broken, unexplained updates issue is still there.
Ads in start menu, and in UWP apps are still there.

There is zero appeal to upgrade, only DX12.
Which is not supported in any AAA games yet, and only GTX 9xx cards supports it 100%.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

I will wait a bit more then. Im still happy with W7 at the moment but after some time I get the feeling to try something newer.
Tomaso

Post by Tomaso »

[quote="Nemo"]I will wait a bit more then.[/quote]
For what?
If anything, things are only going to get worse!

Just install Win8.1Pro, then grab my tweak notes:
index.php/topic,2872.msg13610.html#msg13610
..and stay away from the updates that I've listed here:
index.php/topic,3688.msg19029.html#msg19029
Last edited by Tomaso on Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

For what?
If anything, things are only going to get worse!
Couldn't agree more, .. Everybody whom I know have tried Windows 10 have not had a good word for it.

Well they have had a few good words, but none of them are printable here. And if the GWX "nagware" gets annoying, there is a removal tool at http://ultimateoutsider.com/downloads/

One of them was so pi$$ed  off with it on her working machine (self-employed) she went and bought a Mac! then put the Windows machine on ebay.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

[quote="Nemo"]
I will wait a bit more then. Im still happy with W7 at the moment but after some time I get the feeling to try something newer.
[/quote]

You can always just install Windows 8.1.
It's like the LTSB branch of Windows 10, but you can actually get this OS*.

- Stable.
- It works.
- No telemetry bs.

But, compared to Windows 7, the only plus thing is Onedrive's Sparse Files, and fast(er) boot.
Though, "odrive" can also do this for you on 7 and 10 too.
Ok, I would not trust a third party with all my private files too much.

* You cannot just buy an LTSB license, you need to buy a VL, and Microsoft won't even respond until you are ready to buy like 50-250 licenses at once. And there is Windows 10 Pro, which again, receives these destructive stupid updates, even if you tick "Defer Updates". Microsoft promised us these "update rings", that insiders would test updates. This, of course, never happened. They usually have these half baked "comprehensive updates", that don't even have descriptions, they are just "updates". And you get them in days. There is no testing, no triaging. Did it brake your system? You should not complain, "it's free!".

tl;dr: Windows 10 is not suitable for business, professional, work, or even gaming use.
It's only use is to browse Facebook. Until an update breaks that too.
Last edited by Peter on Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tomaso

Post by Tomaso »

Windows 10 Worst Secret Spins Out Of Control:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... ng-levels/
FliessendWasser

Post by FliessendWasser »

For now, I have 2 machines running Windows:
My laptop - Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-Bit
My PC (mainly used now) - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

I used to upgrade to Windows 10 on my laptop, which was the worst decision I made (besides buying it, since ASUS does not support Linux with drivers ect.).
But Windows 10 being pre-installed on my PC is pretty fine, since it is installed on a SSD - fast, decently looking, and stable.
Concluded (imo) Preinstalled > upgraded

Sure some things are better in Windows 7 (explorer, start menu), but I found my way through Win10, though, because of some stupid DRM, many games I own are not playable anymore (thanks SecuRom!). But for this, I have my laptop ;D
What I loved about installing Windows 10 on both machines was the option to "use the recommended settings" - to send all data homewards to MS, and to use Cortana, which I find is a nice gimmick, but nothing more. My friends actively use Cortana, and probably use more of the possibilities Windows 10 provides - but as for me, I just need a working OS. Ticking off all location things and whatnot, I do not care anymore about the spying things.

Nowadays we keep using many things sending private data to the app's devs, we've become a glass society, where no data is safe anymore at any point, though using this and that encrypted services.
Tomaso

Post by Tomaso »

[quote="brot0"]I do not care anymore about the spying things[/quote]
That's exactly the kind of attitude that has gotten us into this mess.
Since almost no one seems to care these days, there are no limits as to how far M$ and Google will be able to push this sort of crap!
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

That's exactly the kind of attitude that has gotten us into this mess.
There is also a huge amount of hysterical (in the 'panic stricken screaming' sense of the word) paranoia about who is 'watching' who, why "they" might be 'watching' and what are "they" doing with whatever 'they' find out and of most of the "You are being watched" is complete and utter bull shit. Some from people who really should know better but choose no to, and a great deal more from people who actually do NOT know much about anything, but "read it on the Internet" or heard it from "some bloke in the pub".

Whenever any statement of 'fact' starts with.

"They don't want you to know this .... But"

or

"Nobody knows this .... But"

It's a pretty safe bet that a load of imaginary bull shit WILL follow the 'But'.