For the generic offtopic chit-chat
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Win10

Post by Peter »

By the way this is the scariest thing I have ever seen:
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/22 ... t-an-issue

This data mining also keeps me from using my Onedrive storage.
There is "Boxcryptor", but it's not really flexible.

Feels dumb that you pay for a service and you have to fear from it... it's crazy.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

I just don't 'get' this whole furore about companies 'spying' on users. It is really just total bullshit be people who REALLY DO NOT understand what is actually being being done.

Just like EVERY OTHER service provider in the ENTIRE WORLD, from your local council, municipal area, county, state, local store, supermarket, shopping mall, garage, filling station and so on.

And the answer is, ... ... They NEED to know how many people/users they ARE servicing and HOW that service may need to change to improve that service.

Governments have a census so they KNOW how many school places and teachers, hospitals and medical staff may be needed in a given area  in the next ten years or so.
They take traffic surveys, that used to be done by people standing at junctions, or  pneumatic roadside counters, now it is done by traffic cameras so the information on road use can be collected to enable a road repair strategy. Shops need to know what customers buy so they can have the right stock in place, they need to know when people go shopping so they can have enough checkout operators etc.

It is just the same with Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, Yahoo, Yandex, Baidu, and anybody else who needs to keep providing and refining their service for their customers.  would you prefer that these services stayed as they were when they first started or would you prefer them to be improved and enhanced with the anonymous information that was received.
dragons4life

Post by dragons4life »

[quote="Nemo"]
Im thinking to update my Windows 7 to Windows 10, but are there still issues with qBittorrent running on it? If some Windows 10 users can confirm there isn't I will give it a try soon.
[/quote]
like what issues haven't found any to be honest.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

There was an issue with lag and sound problems in the past when qBittorrent was running. I also heard (true or not, can't confirm) that P2P applications in general work better with W7 then with W10. All these might be fixed by now or didn't happen for the most people anyway. Im just curious IF there is any problems or not. I still like W7 so I might just stay with it for a while, or just go ahead and try it out when I have free time.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

Here you are gals and guys, if you want to know and understand a little more about why companies and government are 'tracking' your behaviour.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x387n7u
Tomaso

Post by Tomaso »

[quote="ciaobaby"]
Here you are gals and guys, if you want to know and understand a little more about why companies and government are 'tracking' your behaviour.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x387n7u[/quote]

Yeah, yeah, yeah..
We all know their silly excuses, and how this will make lives SO much better for us!

The insane amount of work M$ has put into preventing users from disabling these features, should be enough to make anyone question their intensions though..
In fact, except from using hardware firewall setups with advanced filtering, no one has been able to disable it yet!

When it comes to explanations, this seems like a more plausible one to me:
http://www.techpowerup.com/194506/micro ... enter.html
..except, no hardened cyber criminals will actually use Win10, so their catches will be limited to script kiddies and software pirates.
FliessendWasser

Post by FliessendWasser »

[quote="Nemo"]
There was an issue with lag and sound problems in the past when qBittorrent was running. [...]
[/quote]
I am getting some sound lags here and then, though I am not completely sure if it is qBittorrent's fault. Even if, I do not care, it isn't that annoying (though Windows 7 indeed does not have these problems). Downloading/Seeding with Win10 does not seem any different to Windows 7. In fact, qBittorrent is seeding better with Windows 10 than it ever did with Windows 7 (imo).

[quote="Tomaso"]
[quote="brot0"]I do not care anymore about the spying things[/quote]
That's exactly the kind of attitude that has gotten us into this mess. [...]
[/quote]
You are free to change it then!

I changed my attitude towards "spying" and whatnot, just because one CANNOT prevent it anymore. There are certain ways to circumvent this and that spying thingies, but you won't be able to be super-safe, and feel completely anonymous.
I gave up a while ago, just like Peter Sunde. The war is already lost. Sure he pointed it out for the internet, but the battle of privacy is lost, too.
The main reason I still stick to Windows is that I am an avid gamer, and most games are optimized just for the most used OS in the world. OSX and/or Linux are supported too (in some cases), but then there are some side effects.
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

There has never been a 'battle for 'privacy on the Internet' there can be no such thing as total privacy, if the Internet is going to continue and develop. People trying to hide things and 'cover their tracks'  is the antithesis of an open system that is available to anyone and everyone.
dragons4life

Post by dragons4life »

I personally don't care about "muh privacy" but I removed a couple of creepy settings asap on windows 10, and I am still waiting for something to delete all the apps it came with feels like all they do is be annoying.

Except for the calculator.

[quote="Nemo"]
There was an issue with lag and sound problems in the past when qBittorrent was running. I also heard (true or not, can't confirm) that P2P applications in general work better with W7 then with W10. All these might be fixed by now or didn't happen for the most people anyway. Im just curious IF there is any problems or not. I still like W7 so I might just stay with it for a while, or just go ahead and try it out when I have free time.
[/quote]
Haven't gotten the audio problem in a long time. don't know about the second complaint but imo I think it's bullshit.

Also never understood why people never moved to windows 8 it was faster, if you disliked the start you can change it back with classicshell or starisback, that's what I did.
Last edited by dragons4life on Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomaso

Post by Tomaso »

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Apple products (too restrictive), but I've gotta salute them for this:
https://www.apple.com/customer-letter/
I bet we'll never see such a letter from M$!
dragons4life

Post by dragons4life »

[quote="Tomaso"]
Personally, I'm not a big fan of Apple products (too restrictive), but I've gotta salute them for this:
https://www.apple.com/customer-letter/
[/quote]

Don't you think you hate "M$" a little too much.. it's kinda getting to the point of being weird man.
Tomaso

Post by Tomaso »

[quote="dragons4life"]Don't you think you hate "M$" a little too much[/quote]
Hate them?
I've practically been using all M$ Windows versions they've ever released, from 3.0 till 8.1, and it has always been my prefered OS.
..and yes, I've even payed for it!
It's very frustrating for us long-time users to see which path they've choosen now..
They obviously don't give a shit about their customers privacy anymore!
Young people don't know any better, but this spying stuff WILL boil over some day!
ciaobaby

Post by ciaobaby »

[quote="Tomaso"]
[/quote]

Well, they haven't managed to make an OS that secure yet :)
KitKat

Post by KitKat »

[quote="ciaobaby"]
[quote="Tomaso"]
[/quote]

Well, they haven't managed to make an OS that secure yet :)
[/quote]
That is the problem though isn't it?
Personally idgaf about microsoft collecting and anonymising information from me to improve their service.
What i do however have a bone with is the level of information they take (win10 is passive mic recording & active keylogging afaik)

If they want that level of information they better 2048bit encrypt it because win10 laptop + public wifi = MiM/Sniffing attacks.

Honestly once vulkan api gets into swing there wont be much reason for ANYONE to stick around on microsoft based operating systems (atm its what? ease of use/familiarity & games?)
Linux Mint is pretty cool.

Also unrelated but you guys need to update the "What yr it is now" question for registering/posting, or even better install google's recaptcha?
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Vulcan is still behind DX11. Sadly.
And I don't know how Nvidia cards will do because AMD had GCN + Mantle first.

Seriously, it's like Nvidia Gameworks all over again.