Port Forwarding

For the generic offtopic chit-chat
picjw

Port Forwarding

Post by picjw »

There is virtually no info about this and it is very very annoying - I am using a vpn - do I need to port forward? and what does port forward mean anyway? why dont people just say open port - I attempted to download a torrrent the same way I used to with utorrent and nothing is happening - the torrent shows up on the list but there is zero action - it is doing nothing - no, it is not paused. I have added a port to the vpn I am using - I have specified the same port in qtor connections options. What am I missing? pls dont tell me I have to add that port to the router settings - what is this? the stone age? I have no idea what im doing - I fix bridges, no..... The real kind, the kind you drive over...in a car... Remember those???? so please to not gobbledeegook me with fancy chit chat pls pls pls just say what to do as this is extremely annoying; I have been up all night, paid for and installed vpn, installed qtor and nothing, no action, no result. Cant one of the sites involved just come up with a  simple guide of somekind??????????????

any help would be appreciated.........thank you

== fixed text - Peter ==

THERE IS VIRTUALLY NO INFO ABOUT THIS AND IT IS VERY VERY ANNOYING - I AM USING A VPN - DO I NEED TO PORT FORWARD? AND WHAT DOES PORT FORWARD MEAN ANYWAY? WHY DONT PEOPLE JUST SAY OPEN PORT - I ATTEMPTED TO DOWNLOAD A TORRRENT THE SAME WAY I USED TO WITH UTORRENT AND NOTHING IS HAPPENING - THE TORRENT SHOWS UP ON THE LIST BUT THERE IS ZERO ACTION - IT IS DOING NOTHING - NO, IT IS NOT PAUSED. I HAVE ADDED A PORT TO THE VPN I AM USING - I HAVE SPECIFIED THE SAME PORT IN QTOR CONNECTIONS OPTIONS. WHAT AM I MISSING? PLS DONT TELL ME I HAVE TO ADD THAT PORT TO THE ROUTER SETTINGS - WHAT IS THIS? THE STONE AGE? I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IM DOING - I FIX BRIDGES, NO..... THE REAL KIND, THE KIND YOU DRIVE OVER...IN A CAR... REMEMBER THOSE???? SO PLEASE TO NOT GOBBLEDEEGOOK ME WITH FANCY CHIT CHAT PLS PLS PLS JUST SAY WHAT TO DO AS THIS IS EXTREMELY ANNOYING; I HAVE BEEN UP ALL NIGHT, PAID FOR AND INSTALLED VPN, INSTALLED QTOR AND NOTHING, NO ACTION, NO RESULT. CANT ONE OF THE SITES INVOLVED JUST COME UP WITH A  SIMPLE GUIDE OF SOMEKIND??????????????

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.........THANK YOU
Last edited by picjw on Fri May 27, 2016 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FliessendWasser

Re: Port Forwarding

Post by FliessendWasser »

Bruh. Please stop writing in caps only, IT LOOKS LIKE WE ARE SCREAMING AT EACH OTHER.
Secondly, using Google certainly would help to find one of those guides, e.g. "Port Forwarding [Insert your router/modem model here]". It is just like that, and there is no other way to explain it.
Also, search for a guide on your VPN provider, if they support port forwarding, and if they do, be sure to do the same there (in some kind of panel, idk).

Please please please, a little more input, maybe even the speed of your internet and whatnot. We certainly cannot help you to fix your problem, as, compared to a car, you are saying that even though you checked the wheels, your car with the new steering wheel won't start up.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Port Forwarding

Post by Peter »

- You should stop blaming others because you picked a bad provider.
- Your provider may support port forwarding. Not all of them do.
- Port forward is the thing happening before you get an open port.
- Port forwarding is NOT needed to download. If you cannot download at all, your VPN provider may be blocking torrent traffic altogether. Port forwarding only helps other to connect you, this helps with seeding - a lot. But for downloads, being passive is not a bad thing.

On AirVPN and Private Internet Access - the client you install from them, will provide you with an interface for port forwarding.