PSA: Maintenance notices / website updates

For the generic offtopic chit-chat
Drugwash

Re: PSA: Maintenance notices / website updates

Post by Drugwash »

The whole world is screwed up big time, what could we expect from a piece of software...
Anyway, it's close enough so let's leave it as is.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Well I tried setting it to 1 post (so we'd get initial approval) and logged out everyone. You should be able to post now after 1 approved post.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

- phpBB has been updated to latest version
- PHP has been moved to 8.1 (since 7.x is EOL)
- ModSecurity has been updated

Let me know if something broke.
Nemo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nemo »

Thanks Peter.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

I adjusted a few settings to (hopefully) fix the "Submitted form was invalid", let me know if things are better / or more broken. (Cloudflare is messing a bit with the forum engine and I had to change some stuff.)

Update1: Akismet spam protection has been enabled.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

The Forum domain has been changed to forum.qbittorrent.org after all these years, finally.
Let me know if anything breaks/broke and I will fix it ASAP.
Zoloft

Post by Zoloft »

Peter wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 11:03 am The Forum domain has been changed to forum.qbittorrent.org after all these years, finally.
Let me know if anything breaks/broke and I will fix it ASAP.
Bookmark updated, thanks!
Drugwash

Post by Drugwash »

Seems to work OK upon a quick limited check. Just changed e-mail address - notification and verification went without a hitch. Thank you!
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

PhpBB updated. Let me know if something broke with the update. Thank you.
Drugwash

Post by Drugwash »

At least login works. :)

Unfortunately, since app developers abandoned Ubuntu 18/Bionic as a target my presence here became superfluous.
Hopefully more active members would provide better feedback in regard to the forum software update.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Drugwash wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:34 pm At least login works. :)

Unfortunately, since app developers abandoned Ubuntu 18/Bionic as a target my presence here became superfluous.
Hopefully more active members would provide better feedback in regard to the forum software update.
Can't you run the AppImage?
Drugwash

Post by Drugwash »

Generally I'm not a fan of "full packages" like AppImage or Flatpak, they tend to take up way too much space, which is already extremely scarce on my machine (about 500MB free on the system partition).

Building from code sometimes work - for certain libraries or applications - but most of them already require dependencies higher than my system can provide. It's a moving target, and it's more and more difficult to keep up with the changes. At some point one has to stick with whatever works, for as long as it still works. C'est la vie...
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

tl;dr: you can only use gmail/outlook to register now.

Some history:
Since we get so many spam registrations lately, I have enabled hCaptcha at registration.
Unfortunately this did not solve the issue.

We are also on Cloudflare with high security settings but that does not seem to help either.
So we are resorting to email provider whitelist.

If you are a real person and you REALLY REALLY REALLY want to use your custom domain or other provider, email me directly and I'll add you by hand.
But just one person who gets in like this and starts spamming - and this option is gone.

/rant: While spammers get through gmail/outlook registration too, others like Proton and Yandex just let them through. They don't even care, they don't check. Just yep, go ahead, feel free to spam and abuse. I wish every provider asked for a phone number, or a 1$ payment or something. They can even verify if an IP is consumer or commercial but they just don't care. Gotta inflate those numbers for investors I guess. Sad.
Drugwash

Post by Drugwash »

Please allow me to offer some feedback.

Personally I ran away from everything that asked me for my phone number and/or any other kind of private data. As such I have instantly terminated my GitHub account when they made two factor authentication compulsory, for example. Also terminated all my accounts with "vetted" providers such as google, microsoft, aol and so on. It's just a matter of principle and awareness. Anonymity is not always related to bad intentions and behavior. The current e-mail account used here was found as a last resort through a very scarce number of possible choices.

Unfortunately people like me get discarded, blocked by such filters that seem to be a solution but they actually are just a tool aiding the "higher quarters" in their goal of tagging anyone and everyone for some unknown (to us) purposes.

Anyway, just wanted to state my opinion on behalf of an unknown number of legit people that from now on would be left out in the cold. I can only presume some of them would not persist in their intention of registering and as such may never discover the option of mailing you directly, should that option remain valid with time. Unfortunately I cannot provide any alternatives to current situation.

All the best to everybody.
Peter
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peter »

Drugwash wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:58 pm Please allow me to offer some feedback.
I appreciate the feedback and I also use other providers.
Unfortunately Cloudflare and all the plugins we have enabled are just not doing much. No wonder since you can effectively use ChatGPT to solve CAPTCHA for you, or even give you legit Windows 11 Pro keys.

But anyhow, just throw me an email and I'll happily add anyone by hand.
peter is the address and the website is qbittorrent.org
Please puzzle that together. :)